Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paul_p
Visitor

Updating a published channel using another encryption key

Hi,

I want to create a pkg file in order to use it to update a published channel. I have the chanel zip file, DEvId and the encryption key.

In order to have the Packager link when accesing the IP address of the Roku box, I generated a new key running genkey from a terminal.
I managed in this way to create the pkg file, but my question is: this generated pkg file will be valid when trying to update the published channel (which has another encryption key)? (I cannot now to update the channel)

Can I, using the Utilities page, to install the proper key on my Roku device using only the DEvId and the encryption key I have? (I do not have another application package version)

I read that "The "genkey" utility will generate a set of Keys, Password and DevID necessary for encrypting your application. ". What exactly is that "set of keys" and where are these saved? When I run the genkey from the terminal I only received the password and devId...

Thanks.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Updating a published channel using another encryption ke

I don't know what would happen if you try to replace a published channel with a pkg signed with a different key other than even if it is possible, you'd lose everything stored in the registry.

I assume you have access to the developer account that created the channel in the first place. If so, you can download the published signed package. It isn't clear to me whether you have the original password that goes with the original package, but if you do you can use the "Rekey" option under "Utilities" using the downloaded package. Once you rekey your box, any package you now create (using the original password) will be signed with the original key.

If you don't have that original password, then I think you're out of luck.

Hope this helps!
-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: Updating a published channel using another encryption ke

Roku has helped in the past with authorized encryption keys before. I don't see a reason why they wouldn't be able to retrieve or change the encryption key with manual intervention - with the proper requesting identity credentials.
If your channel doesn't use the roku registry, then it shouldn't be an issue what key it is signed with.
0 Kudos