Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elduran
Visitor

Unsupported audio: ISO/IEC 11172-3, MPEG-1 Audio Layer II

I am restreaming some channels to watch on my roku 2 (4.2) via HLS, everything works fine, but some doesn't works, i get this error from the debug console:

showHomeScreen | msg = Stream started. | index = 0
Unexpected event type: 20
showHomeScreen | msg = Unsupported audio: ISO/IEC 11172-3, MPEG-1 Audio Layer II | index = 0
Video status: 0 0
showHomeScreen | msg = | index = -5
Video request failure: -5 4
showHomeScreen | msg = | index = 0
Screen closed

The only difference i found on the streams is:
Streams with AAC audio plays fine
Streams with MPEG Audio Layer 1/2/3 (mpga) doesn't works on my roku2, plays fine on OSX, and iPhone, but not on my roku

MP3 Is supposed to works fine on roku 2, why is not working on mine?

Thanks
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: Unsupported audio: ISO/IEC 11172-3, MPEG-1 Audio Layer I

Can you PM me some example streams that don't work? MP3 does sometimes work on Roku2, however, we don't officially support mp3 audio, please read the Encoding Guide pdf in your SDK.

- Joel
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

For video, we support AAC or DD soundtracks, mp3 may work, but mp2 as shown is not supported and I don't know of plans to support it. For audio we support MP3, not MP2 as shown here.
0 Kudos
elduran
Visitor

The audio of the stream is mp3, if i use rtmpdump i get mp3, if i open the stream in VLC i get mpeg 1/2/3 (mpga), and if i run the stream in roku i get the message from the topic
0 Kudos
bosborne
Visitor

I have the same issue. Roku is incorrectly identifying the audio in my HLS live stream as ISO/IEC 11172-3, MPEG-1 Audio Layer II. I'm using an FMLE publishing RTMP to Wowza to produce the HLS stream.

The audio on the Roku is set to MP3. I can also play this stream in iOS devices and QuickTime on Mac.

When downloading the playlist itself, it reports the video as avc1.66.31, and the audio as mp4a.40.34. Looking at the table no this page: http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/ ... tions.html, you can see that it corresponds with mp3 audio.
0 Kudos
OddScott
Roku Guru

The PC version of FMLE needs the $180 MainConcept (http://www.mainconcept.com) AAC Encoder plugin to provide a Roku compatible stream via Wowza (or any other HLS transcoder I would guess). Apparently the Mac version of FMLE already has an AAC encoder included.
www.InstantTvChannel.com - 717-441-4386 - Build a Roku SDK channel in 15 minutes! - Easy Direct Publisher to SDK upgrades!
0 Kudos
bosborne
Visitor

Yes, and I have that version, but was hoping to get MP3 audio working as well.
0 Kudos