Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with SDK and developing a New Channel

I am a first time developer of channels and NOT a programmer. The instructions written for developing a channel appear to be missing something.

Within the Roku "Channel Packaging and Publishing Guide" Version 4.1 12/21/2001 page 8 - instructions on GENKEY. My problem is that I dont know how to access Telnet on a Window machine. Instructions are not clear.

ALSO

Within the Roku "Channel Packaging and Publishing Guide" Version 4.1 12/21/2001 page 9 - instructions: "Open a browser to your box using the IP Address of your device. For example: http://192.168.1.23"

I know what my Roku box IP address is because I have access to my router - but when I do as the instructions require - the browser times out with the following message: "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 192.168.1.100."

I am attempting to tunnel into the box from my laptop that is also wirelessly attached to the network.

Roku box is running version 3.1 - build 1011

This channel development appears to be far more complex than it needs to be OR the instructions are missing large chunks of information. Can someone help?
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
MazeWizzard
Visitor

Re: Trouble with SDK and developing a New Channel

The "Channel Packaging and Publishing Guide" is more-or-less the end of the process, not the start. There is separate documentation for developing the channel. Maybe you should start at the beginning?

Also, since you are new to development and (maybe) Windows/Linux, maybe you could Google "command shell" or "Start->Run->CMD" and then you could Google "Telnet", and then maybe also read the Developer Guide about enabling development mode on the box 1st.

See the DeveloperGuide.PDF... that may help. In fact, I'd suggest that you see all the PDF's first.

Good Luck.
0 Kudos

Thank you - Given the world of YouTube, etc... we live in, you would think this process would be a whole lot easier.
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

Under WIndows 7, telnet is not enabled by default. To enable telnet, go to the Control Panel, select 'Programs and Features', select 'Turn Windows features on or off' from the left-hand pane, check the box marked 'Telnet Client' then click OK.

Before you can access your Roku from a web browser you have to put the Roku into Developer Mode as described in section 7.1 of the Developer Guide, Enabling Development Mode on your box:

7.1 Enabling Development Mode on your box
Before you are able to load a development application to your box, you must enable development mode on your Roku Streaming Player. When you enter the special remote control sequence:
Home 3x, Up 2x, Right, Left, Right, Left, Right
You will be presented with the Developer Settings page where you can enable developer mode on the box. When developer mode is enabled, you can access the Application Installer page as specified in the next section.
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Visitor

"maximumchange" wrote:
Thank you - Given the world of YouTube, etc... we live in, you would think this process would be a whole lot easier.

That's why developers get paid for what they know. It's not that simple...
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos

Thank you - I am staring down 3 different manuals and there is no indication as to step 1, 2 or 3... so you all have given me more information that I could find in one step.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"maximumchange" wrote:
Thank you - I am staring down 3 different manuals and there is no indication as to step 1, 2 or 3... so you all have given me more information that I could find in one step.

You might start here... viewtopic.php?f=34&t=36014
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos