Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
icenyne
Visitor

Stupid NOOB question: Eclipse requirements

I have perused the forums and the SDK docs that Roku has provided but I have not at yet found what needs to be installed in Eclipse before the Brightscript plugin gets installed.

I have tried the 3.6 and 3.7 versions of Eclipse, the Java developer's version as noted in the docs. I can get the plugin installed but I do not see the perspective listed in under the "Other" option when selecting perspectives.

I have used Eclipse with low level embedded code but do not regularly use it for anything. All I've used is pre-packaged Eclipse for the embedded platforms.

So now, here's the stupid NOOB question: Besides the Eclipse download and adding the two links mentioned in the Eclipse Plugin Guide PDF file, what else should be installed in Eclipse? I notice in the PDF that there is C/C++ listed as the default perspective. This seems to imply that more needs to be installed but I am unable to find a list and I am not a code developer by training or trade. (I'm more of a hardware guy...)

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
malloys
Visitor

Re: Stupid NOOB question: Eclipse requirements

"icenyne" wrote:
I have perused the forums and the SDK docs that Roku has provided but I have not at yet found what needs to be installed in Eclipse before the Brightscript plugin gets installed.

I have tried the 3.6 and 3.7 versions of Eclipse, the Java developer's version as noted in the docs. I can get the plugin installed but I do not see the perspective listed in under the "Other" option when selecting perspectives.

I have used Eclipse with low level embedded code but do not regularly use it for anything. All I've used is pre-packaged Eclipse for the embedded platforms.

So now, here's the stupid NOOB question: Besides the Eclipse download and adding the two links mentioned in the Eclipse Plugin Guide PDF file, what else should be installed in Eclipse? I notice in the PDF that there is C/C++ listed as the default perspective. This seems to imply that more needs to be installed but I am unable to find a list and I am not a code developer by training or trade. (I'm more of a hardware guy...)

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

No, the C/C++ perspective pic in the docs is a red herring (i.e. C/C++ IDE or components are not needed, and in fact, not tested against and so they are discouraged).
There are no dependencies other than those listed in the docs (i.e. the additional update sites if you are using Eclipse 3.7 indigo).

Couple of questions:
1) Which specific operating system are you installing on?
2) Are there any entries in the Error Log or Problems views?

Cheers
0 Kudos
icenyne
Visitor

Darn it all... I just deleted everything after having given up for the night...

I have tried both WinXP SP3 and Mac OS 10.5.8 with Eclipse 3.7 and 3.6.

I can get the Brightscript plugin to install but when I go to Window > Open Perspective > Other..., there is no option to open the Brightscript perspective. It is missing and I don't see anywhere where to activate it. There are no obvious errors because no dialog box with an error is generated. It simply is not listed in the perspective options to choose from. I can see the info in the XML file if I peruse the Brightscript plugin jar file, but it does not seem to be added to the list of perspectives to open.

Should it be the EE version of Eclipse, or just the basic, smaller download?

Is there something I'm missing? Which EMF option should be installed, if any? I can install the DLTK 2.0 under 3.6, but then if I run an update all, it makes a conflict with some remote debugging component and some other DLTK component. If I uninstall those, I can get the Eclipse component to update, but after reinstalling Brightscript, it is still absent from the perspective opening list.

thanks.
0 Kudos
icenyne
Visitor

Ok, I just redownloaded 3.6 for Mac OS X. After launching it the first time, I let it update itself, as there was some Eclipse components it said were ready to update.

Then I installed the Brightscript plugin. It installs no complaint dialog boxes and no errors in any panes that I can see. Still no option to open a Brightscript perspective. 😞

Here is what is installed:
BrightScript Core 1.0.0.201110271644
Eclipse IDE for Java Developers 1.3.2.20110301-1807
Eclipse Platform 3.6.2.M20110210-1200
Eclipse Platform 3.6.2.r362_v20110210-9gF78Gs1FrIGnHDHWkEcopoN8AmxeZflGDGKQi
Equinox p2 Provisioning 2.0.1.r361_v20100903-897HFa-FX0z-z-ntoaavz0JPX628
EPP Java Package 1.3.2.20110301-1807
Eclipse CVS Client 1.2.1.r362_v20101111-7B77FKv99HL0GvIAF99I8H14B7E
Eclipse Help System 1.2.1.r362_v20101111-7e7jEVFDr6xg-LSlC_z0w1D
Eclipse Java Development Tools 3.6.2.r362_v20101117-0800-7z8XFW6FLFlmjJcvz03jyeFBLS_F
Eclipse RCP 3.6.2.r362_v20101104-9SAxFMKFkSAqi8axkv1ZjegmiBLY
Eclipse XML Editors and Tools 3.2.3.v201102160550-7H7AFUWDxumQJOi9ghcTb5YgkwEZ
EPP Common Package Feature 1.3.2.20110218-0812
Mylyn Context Connector: Eclipse IDE 3.6.4.v20111118-0100
Mylyn Context Connector: Java Development 3.6.4.v20111118-0100
Mylyn Task List 3.6.4.v20111118-0100
Mylyn Task-Focused Interface 3.6.4.v20111118-0100
Mylyn Tasks Connector: Bugzilla 3.6.4.v20111118-0100
Mylyn WikiText 1.5.4.v20111118-0100
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

"icenyne" wrote:

I have tried both WinXP SP3 and Mac OS 10.5.8 with Eclipse 3.7 and 3.6.

WinXP Pro SP3 has been tested against for both 3.6 and 3.7, so good there.
OSX 10.5.8 (aka Leopard) has not been tested against ( 10.6 aka Snow leopard has). So YMMV on 10.5.8

"icenyne" wrote:

I can get the Brightscript plugin to install but when I go to Window > Open Perspective > Other..., there is no option to open the Brightscript perspective. It is missing and I don't see anywhere where to activate it. There are no obvious errors because no dialog box with an error is generated.

Have you opened the "Error Log" view? That's where errors would/should show up, if any. That view comes with the baseline Eclipse, but is not activated by default - you need to open it up yourself:
Window->Show View->Other->General->Error Log

"icenyne" wrote:

Should it be the EE version of Eclipse, or just the basic, smaller download?

Eclipse IDE for Java Developers is what you want (Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers has not been tested against.)

"icenyne" wrote:

Is there something I'm missing? Which EMF option should be installed, if any? I can install the DLTK 2.0 under 3.6, but then if I run an update all, it makes a conflict with some remote debugging component and some other DLTK component. If I uninstall those, I can get the Eclipse component to update, but after reinstalling Brightscript, it is still absent from the perspective opening list.

OK, this may be the problem...
Do not do an update of Eclipse and do not explcitly install EMF or DLTK yourself ... or anything else for that matter, except the BrightScript plugin.

Eclipse will install the correct dependent packages itself on your behalf (the BrightScript plugin/feature knows and reports what it explicitly needs to Eclipse), so long as you have the correct update sites in your "Available Sites" list, and the "Contact All update sites..." option is selected at the bottom of the install dialog.

If you try to update eclipse before installing the BrightScript plugin, or install the dependent plugins yourself manually, there's a good chance you won't get the right plugins or version combinations, and strange things could happen.
I recommend starting from a fresh install, and then install the BrightScript plugin as detailed in the guide, with no intervening steps.

Cheers
0 Kudos
icenyne
Visitor

Under WinXP SP3, I have tried both the 32-bit 3.6 and 3.7 default install.

I've added the two update sites to the list and installed the Brightscript plugin.

Under 3.7, I was getting an error that some repository was not being found, so I refreshed all the update sites before installing the Brightscript plugin.

Everytime after installing the Brightscript plugin after a fresh install, and no errors in the error log, there is no option in the perspective list. I found a reference to a missing perspective relating to PDT installation which suggested launching with the -clean option. So I tried that, and still no joy.

I was seeing the same behavior on my Mac at home last night. There has to be some basic piece missing that the typical user has before starting or some step that I'm not doing or missing...

After downloading the Eclipse zip, I just unzip it and launch it. I clear out the workspace directory before hand and even after but that does not seem to affect anything.
0 Kudos
icenyne
Visitor

And the same thing happens under Mac OS X 10.5.8 with 3.6 and 3.7, freshly unarchived, links added, and Brightscript plugin installed.

I found the eclipse.ini for the Mac 3.7 executable and added the -clean option to it, but again, still no joy.

The plugin install without error, it just does not seem to be getting added to the list of available perspectives. And I don't see any obvious way to edit the list of available perspectives manually...

thanks...
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

"icenyne" wrote:
Under WinXP SP3, I have tried both the 32-bit 3.6 and 3.7 default install.
I've added the two update sites to the list and installed the Brightscript plugin.

Just to be clear, adding the two additional update sites is only necessary under 3.7 (not 3.6)

"icenyne" wrote:

Under 3.7, I was getting an error that some repository was not being found, so I refreshed all the update sites before installing the Brightscript plugin.

Getting some message about a repo not being found is certainly not normal - that indicates a fundamental problem with one ore more of: your eclipse install, your workspace, your configuration of the update sites, or possibly your internet connection.
Let's see a screenshot of the error or provide the exact text presented for the "not being found" error.
Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "I refreshed all the update sites"... can you be more specific?

"icenyne" wrote:

Everytime after installing the Brightscript plugin after a fresh install, and no errors in the error log, there is no option in the perspective list. I found a reference to a missing perspective relating to PDT installation which suggested launching with the -clean option. So I tried that, and still no joy.

I was seeing the same behavior on my Mac at home last night. There has to be some basic piece missing that the typical user has before starting or some step that I'm not doing or missing...

After downloading the Eclipse zip, I just unzip it and launch it. I clear out the workspace directory before hand and even after but that does not seem to affect anything.

OK, that sounds like you have not yet attempted to create a completely new workspace - and by implication, are re-using one that previous eclipse installations have used.
It's possible that old workspace still has files (most likely hidden ones, which you did not delete when you "cleared it out") which are causing problems.

I suggest creating a brand-new separate workspace directory (don't clean out the old one, create a completely new directory).
On first startup of a new eclipse install, it will prompt for the workspace directory - select the new one you created.

Cheers
0 Kudos
icenyne
Visitor

Since WinXP SP3 is known to work, I'll stick with that...

With Indigo 3.7, freshly unzipped from eclipse-java-indigo-SR1-win32.zip with newly created workspace directory:
Added the two links from the PDF, and then the Brightscript plugin link.
Installed without any errors in the window.

Relaunched Eclipse - no listing in the other perspectives list.
Closed and relaunced, creating a brand new workspace, still no listing in the other perspectives list.

With Helios 3.6, freshlly unzipped from eclipse-java-helios-SR2-win32.zip with newly created workspace directory:
Added no links, inserted Brighscript link, installed without error.
Relaunched Eclipse, created a brand new workspace, still no listing in the other perspectives list.

I do not know what version of Java I had installed, but it was double digit update to 6. I just installed 6 update 30, created another clean workspace with 3.6 (since that was the last thing I did) and still no entry in the other perspectives list.

Is it possibly that I am using the 32 bit version? An older version but still very recent (with the last 6 months, anyway) version of Java? Where does the newly installed plugin info go tghat automatically is supposed to update the other perspective list? Is it possible that there is some other missing piece of Eclipse that everyone installs intuitively that I, the non software person, am not? Has the plugin been tested against a fresh install by the developer(s)?
0 Kudos