Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kyleabaker
Visitor

Stationary Grid Mode?

I'm currently working with a roGridScreen layout, however, I've implemented it in a way that would make much more sense with a stationary grid. Let me explain...

Grid screen scrolls left to right (and vice versa) on each row, so if I want to select the 5th thumbnail in a row and move right, it shifts everything in the row to center my selection. There must be a screen layout where I can have 5 items per row and move left to right much like the search keypad where row items don't shift positions and the item selector moves from one side of the screen to another.

Rather than test them all, I'm hoping to get a simple answer (and also hoping that option exists).

-----------------

For the visual, lets say I have the following layout...

A B C D E
F G H I J

..by default, c is selected, if I try to select d then the screen shifts to...

B C D E A
F G H I J

...so my question is whether or not a screen layout exists for Roku where I can select d without shifting the row...

A B C D E
F G H I J

-----------------

I may have missed it in the sdk (hopefully), but thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: Stationary Grid Mode?

I don't think we do have a mode like that in the SDK. It would be pretty easy to create it yourself using roScreen, as all you would do is draw a grid of images, then move the selector around and keep track of the row and col indexes which would directly map to an array of items:

array[x,y]= {title: "my movie", decription:"description of movie",streams: [array,of,streams]}

Of course if you wanted to add vertical scrolling through images that are off screen it would get more complicated.

- Joel
0 Kudos
kyleabaker
Visitor

That's an option I'm willing to pursue. Are you aware of any such example that I might take a look at?

Thanks for the fast response btw!
0 Kudos
kyleabaker
Visitor

Is there an example that uses roScreen and draws posters to the screen? I'm trying to figure out how to implement this screen layout, but could use some direction or an example.

Thanks!
0 Kudos