Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newchannel
Roku Guru

Some Guidance Needed: what's next?

Hi,

I'm a newbie and looking for a little help on building my first channel. So far I have downloaded the SDK and I have copied the videoplayer example and uploaded it using the "Developer Application Installer". I can see the "Ted Talks video player example using category XML feeds" on my TV via my Roku 2XS.

I have been reading the SDK but bewildered as to what is the next step? Do I make the channel jpg graphics and if so, do I store these on a server someplace and reference them in the code or do the graphics go into a image folder and get loaded onto the device?

Or, do I go next to the telnet and then gen key. I read to hold onto the information that I receive when the gen key is done

If someone can give me some guidance on completing this basic channel, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.
LB
http://www.victoryNOWfilmsandtv.com
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
belltown
Roku Guru

Re: Some Guidance Needed: what's next?

The channel graphics can be placed in the Images folder to be packed with the rest of the application. There is no need to store them on an external server unless, for some reason, you want to have images dynamically loaded at runtime. You can even develop a channel without including any images at all and you'll get poster screens that say something like "Retrieving Image", although the channel should still function. You can also include the Roku logo and slice images, etc. from the example apps until you get your own artwork developed.

The genkey thing is only necessary when you get to the point at which you're ready to package, upload and publish your channel to your developer account so you can make it available to others. You can do the bulk of your development work by just sideloading the channel directly to your Roku for testing. You might want to consider what it is that you want your channel to do and find the Roku example app that most closely mirrors your desired channel, and start from there.
0 Kudos
newchannel
Roku Guru

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Looking at the video player example on my tv screen, I believe it will be a good design for what I need my channel to do. I believe it will work nicely.

Thank you for clarifying information about the images. I'll make my images according to the specs which I believe I read are to be jpg's and add them to an image folder. So basically, if I understand correctly, after creating my own channel images I can copy the video player example again,but instead of using the image folder provided in the example, use an image folder that holds my own images and then zip up the video player contents again and upload onto the device using the browser development installer application.

Then, if I understand correctly, to test my own video, change code from one of the videos in the video player example to point to the link of my own test video that I have saved on my own server location.

Trying to get onto the right track.

Thank you again.
LB
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

Yes, you seem to be on the right track. Your images can be jpeg images, although you might want your logos and icons, etc., to be png files. The 'Homescreen and Channel Store Artwork Guidelines' in the SDK documents folder contains the statement:
To maintain high quality display of your logo through possible format conversion processes, we recommend you submit your image as either an 8bit 256-color PNG or 24bit PNG. However, if channel file size becomes an issue for your package, JPEG is also an acceptable compression type.

Good luck with your new channel.
0 Kudos
newchannel
Roku Guru

Thanks again for your help.

BTW, which program did you use to make your images? I did a test and kept the file name the same and the dimensions. In one instance I was able to see a section of my image then another try after testing my logo image as MainMenu_Icon_CenterFocus_HD still shows TED.

I was trying to use Snagit. Seemed to be working well as I added the TED images, took out the TED name, filled in with white, then took my logo, resized, placed it over the old TED background and saved as png with same file name as the original. Then deleted originals and uploaded to device. But, did not show the image I have in the image folder, still shows the old TED image.

I'll off to tinker with my images again.

SOLVED: I had uploaded the HD file for the test of my logo images but had not uploaded the SD file logo of my image. I'm currently viewing on an SD TV therefore the image would not show. 😉
0 Kudos