Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SOL
Visitor

So many ideas

I have read some recent threads of individuals getting frustrated on starting. I can relate but only because of my lack of programming skills. I have ideas that I would like to learn more about, but I am finding frustration in the documentation to some extent.

The information is there, but real life examples I think are something that I need to get a better grasp on things. I continue to read the PDF's, I continue to browse the internet... but still something is missing for me. I thank everyone for the help that is out there, but maybe this isnt for me? I hope that isn't the case and I can find some way to wrap my head around everything.

I am able to Side-Load channels, I am able to use the examples given and load them, and then successfully change minor attributes such as "text" or #color to get a different effect on screen. The problem is when I try and fly.. 😞 and add things that werent originally there.

I understand the power of Roku, streaming and all that.... but I can't even THINK about starting to figure that part out, if I can't do my simple project ideas.

if else statements : RND() : Passing RND() variables to statements to call.

My simple first idea I wanted to try was something in essence of making a coin toss channel

hort = RND(3)
if hort = 1
printMsg("Heads")
else if hort = 2
printMsg("Tails")
end if
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
bandal
Visitor

Re: So many ideas

I think there are many in the same boat. I understand that RokuJoel may be writing some better examples or complete apps with descriptions for the next SDK release. I know we need them now, not later.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

"SOL" wrote:

hort = RND(3)
if hort = 1
printMsg("Heads")
else if hort = 2
printMsg("Tails")
end if

So that should work, if you wrap it up:

sub main()
hort = RND(2)
if hort = 1 then
printMsg("Heads")
else if hort = 2 then
printMsg("Tails")
end if
while true
end while
end sub

The "while" loop is to keep your channel from exiting when it finishes.

FYI rnd(3) output will be 1, 2 or 3. For two value pseudo-random number generation you would do rnd(2). This may be different from what you see on other platforms.

Also, me, personally, I prefer to tack a "then" on the end of my if statements, as a habit, as there are some conditions under which the statement will fail if you leave it off.

- Joel
0 Kudos
SOL
Visitor

Thanks Joel.

In the example in the PDF... they used RND(56).... this was stated to give a number between 1-55. I guess I got confused
0 Kudos
SOL
Visitor

sub Main()
screen = CreateObject("roPosterScreen")
screen.Show()

hort = RND(2)
if hort = 1 then
screen.ShowMessage("Heads")
else if hort = 2 then
screen.ShowMessage("Tails")
end if
while true
end while
end sub

This is what I ended up with. Thanks again
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

"SOL" wrote:

In the example in the PDF... they used RND(56).... this was stated to give a number between 1-55. I guess I got confused

This is what I see in the BrightScript 3.0 Reference Manual:

RND(integer) returns an integer between 1 and integer inclusive . For example, RND(55) returns a pseudo-random integer greater than zero and less than 56.

Maybe this was different in an earlier version?

--Mark
0 Kudos
SOL
Visitor

You guys are correct. I read it wrong.

Now, 1 last thing before I go.....for now.

If I were to say.... have 2 jpg's *heads.jpg and tails.jpg that I put in the images folder, and instead of wanting the text- I would like one of the images...

Question 1) Do I need roImageCanvas ? (God help me if I do 😉 )
Question 2) What is the path for images contained in 'images' folder to be called by channel
0 Kudos