Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bbrouse
Visitor

Smooth stream (with playready) loads to 99%, then crashes

In our channel we're streaming playready DRM'ed smooth stream videos. In some cases, and we've been having trouble figuring out why this only happens during certain videos, the player will load the video to 99% then freeze.

The last message received from the player is the "startup progress" message at 99%. We can see segments getting continually pulled down, and a syslog object still reports back every so often, but the video itself does not play and the player becomes unresponsive.

At some point the player stops pulling down segments. If you press the home button or try to back out of the video then the player crashes and reboots.

Any ideas on what would cause this, or how to get some more information from the player?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Smooth stream (with playready) loads to 99%, then crashe

Are you using a custom video player and roScreen by any chance? I've seen this behavior in certain cases (primarily on the older Roku 2XD and Roku 2XS) if you don't set the max video decode resolution to 720p.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
bbrouse
Visitor

We are using a custom video player and roScreen. I tried settings the max video decode resolution to 720,480, but the issue still persists.

It looks like the player gets to a certain segment(s) in the video and runs into a problem. If you try to start the video around that time then the video fails to start. If you start the video before and fast forward to that section and try to play, it loads to 99% and crashes. If, however, you play the video before the bad segment and let it run the video looks corrupted for a few seconds (colored lines on the screen) and then crashes. There's no info in the debugger about what is going on, and I can't get a stack trace because the player restarts.
0 Kudos
NewManLiving
Visitor

What happens if you set it to the max 1920 x 1080 it's model specific but worth a try
My Channels: 2D API Framework Presentation: https://owner.roku.com/add/2M9LCVC
Updated: 11-11-2015 - Completed Keyboard interface
The Joel Channel ( Final Beta )
0 Kudos
bbrouse
Visitor

Set to 1920x1080, still get a crash at a specific segment.
0 Kudos
NewManLiving
Visitor

Yes. Had similar symptoms but a different problem and it was solved by setting the proper decode buffer. Unfortunately it did not solve your problem
My Channels: 2D API Framework Presentation: https://owner.roku.com/add/2M9LCVC
Updated: 11-11-2015 - Completed Keyboard interface
The Joel Channel ( Final Beta )
0 Kudos