Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crawfishmedia
Channel Surfer

Sideload stopped working

I feel dumb asking this but all of a sudden sideloading dev channels into my Roku 3 stopped working.

1. I can ping the local Roku IP.
2. Dev Installer enabled, so I disabled and re-enabled it.
3. I reset the Roku password.
4. I deleted the zip file from the project to ensure it is created again.
5. Confirmed correct settings in deployment screen, pointing to Roku IP.

When I sideload the app, the standard beeps happen when sideloading, but the app does not autorun, nor is it present in the list of channels.

I am stumped as to what could be wrong, has anyone experienced this?

I am using Roku 3 4200X, firmware version 6.2 build 3467.

Thanks for any suggestions.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Sideload stopped working

What does the installer page say after you submit the zip file? Usually, if the install fails, there will be an error on that page. Also, have you checked the debug console for information. Like the installer page, the debug console usually indicates why installation/compilation failed.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
crawfishmedia
Channel Surfer

"TheEndless" wrote:
What does the installer page say after you submit the zip file? Usually, if the install fails, there will be an error on that page. Also, have you checked the debug console for information. Like the installer page, the debug console usually indicates why installation/compilation failed.

Unfortunately I do not see any info in the debug screen at all. It appears to load fine from Eclipse, but no channel appears on the Roku.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"crawfishmedia" wrote:
"TheEndless" wrote:

Unfortunately I do not see any info in the debug screen at all. It appears to load fine from Eclipse, but no channel appears on the Roku.

Ahh.. are you using the Eclipse plug-in to deploy the channel? Have you tried sideloading it manually?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
crawfishmedia
Channel Surfer

"TheEndless" wrote:
"crawfishmedia" wrote:
"TheEndless" wrote:

Ahh.. are you using the Eclipse plug-in to deploy the channel? Have you tried sideloading it manually?

Yes, I am using the Eclipse plugin.
OK, tried manual side-load, got some info this time...

"Install Failure: Permission denied (0 bytes written). "
0 Kudos
crawfishmedia
Channel Surfer

I was able to resolve this by removing the SD card. So apparently dev channels cannot be side-loaded onto SD cards, considering if your Roku is full and needs the SD card storage.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"crawfishmedia" wrote:
I was able to resolve this by removing the SD card. So apparently dev channels cannot be side-loaded onto SD cards, considering if your Roku is full and needs the SD card storage.

MicroSD card strikes again! :mrgreen:
I seem to remember seeing comment on that somewhere by a Roku* person...
@$#%%#^#$, so vexing - cannot search for "SD" - took me like half an hour to dig it up: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=85918&start=15#p488660
0 Kudos