Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjbillings
Visitor

Separate audio/video streams

I'm relatively new to Roku development but have implemented a private channel.

What I'm trying to do is stream video such as in the videoplayer sample but then have a separate audio track also streaming from an audio playlist organized by genre. Conceptually I want to merge videoplayer and an audio player.

For example, I can pick a birthday video (mp4) for playback while playing jazz audio tracks (WMA).

I've searched through the documentation and samples and can see how they both work individually but unsure if it's possible to comingle them. Any thoughts? Examples? Guidance?

Thanks,
Michael
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: Separate audio/video streams

Not possible. You might consider doing this on your server and delivering the stream to devices from there in real time, ffmpeg would probably do the job.

- Joel
0 Kudos
mjbillings
Visitor

Bummer. Are you aware of any future support for something like that?

What about an asynchronous process? I've seen in some forums where some operations like "file gets" can be asynchronous. Could I trick an audio object into playing a stream by initiating it from within one of these asynchronous operations?

I know this is an advanced question, way beyond my skill set so I would consider a consulting fee if it requires some experimentation from an advanced roku developer.

Thanks for your time,
Michael
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

You could probably play a short audio stream with roAudioResource as a wav file - I haven't tried it during video playback, but perhaps with some short 'notes' you could make some single-track MIDI type music akin to early pc speaker sounds.
Have you considered synchronizing two roku devices and two TV's - one to play audio while the other plays your video, or to take the optical audio from one roku and the video from the other roku with ECP to sync them?
Perhaps by plugging in the headphones into a roku 3 to activate the 'private listening feature' you could effectively mute the audio currently in your video. And no, I'm not interested in investing time to investigate this for you - even for money - just too busy. I'm just throwing out some possible ideas.
0 Kudos
mjbillings
Visitor

Much appreciated, thanks.
0 Kudos
mjbillings
Visitor

I haven't found any new documentation but revisiting this stream since the Roku 4 is now out. Is there any way to play separate audio and video streams?

Thanks,
Michael
0 Kudos