Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkRoddy
Visitor

Semantics of Comparing Functions

I admit this is a bit of an esoteric question, but I ran into a situation where I was comparing two functions and would like some clarification.

Through from some experimentation I've deserned the following:

'Grabbing 'pointers' to existing functions
x = SomeFunction
y = SomeFunction
(x = y) = True

'Single Anonymous Function
x = Function ( )
Return 1
End Function
y = x
(x = y) = True

'Two Anoymous Functions
x = Function ( )
Return 1
End Function
y = Function ( )
Return 2
End Function
(x <> y) = True

'From an "object"
obj = CreateSomeObject()
x= obj.Function1
y = obj.Function1
(x = y) = True

'Different functions from same "object"
'From an "object"
obj = CreateSomeObject()
x= obj.Function1
y = obj.Function2
(x <> y) = True

'Same function on different "objects"
obj1 = CreateSomeObject()
obj2 = CreateSomeObject()
x = obj1.SomeFunction
y = obj2.SomeFunction
(x = y) = True

This all seems to make sense, but none of it is documented from what I can find. The ifFunction interface only lists the GetSub() and SetSub() functions (nothing in regards to comparison), and there are no details on the semantics of equality listed out.

Can I consider the above equalities stable, or are they likely to change in the future?

-Mark
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuKevin
Visitor

Re: Semantics of Comparing Functions

Mark

I don't forsee these semantics changing....

Just curious, what code are you writing that relies on this?

--Kevin
0 Kudos
MarkRoddy
Visitor

It's kind of a long story. I'm working on brstest (new release this weekend, I swear), which examines source files to find test fixtures (which are really just function). I have some tests place which executes the inspection code to see if returns a reference to the expected function. The comparison is done by using a function 'assertEqual()'.

Previously, assertEqual() was something along the lines of:
Sub assertEqual(val1, val2)
If val1 <> val2 then
m.DoSomethingToHandleTestFailure()
End If
End Sub

This was fine for strings, floats, ints, and apparently functions, but I wanted to extend it to handle other more common data types (lists, dictionaries, arrays, etc). So what I did was write a comparison function for each 'type', built a dispatch table mapping the string identifier of the type to the function that does the comparison, and add an addition function which does the dispatching (this is how my previous question on the dot operator came up). When I put this in place the test described above started failing as the dispatch table didn't have an entry for roFunction objects. This was pretty easy to add (since all it takes is an '=' comparison), but I wanted to confirm the semantics of function comparison before I did my next release.

-Mark
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

Thanks for the explanation Mark. That makes sense.

I hope developers are getting good use out of your test framework.

You're certainly pushing the bounds of the BrightScript language.... keep it up!

--Kevin
0 Kudos
MarkRoddy
Visitor

Thanks Kevin. And I was just thinking after I posted this that you guys must be getting sick of me and my super obscure questions 🙂

-Mark
0 Kudos