Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbrave
Channel Surfer

Screensaver input from roku remote

I could have sworn in a previous firmware version you had to actually listen for keypresses on the messageport in order to to know if the user wanted to terminate a screen saver. It seems that any keypress now kills the screensaver. I was hoping to make an interactive screensaver...

-Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Screensaver input from roku remote

As far as I'm aware, the screensaver has always died on any keypress. If that weren't the case, then someone could potentially write a screensaver that locked up the box (except on home), which could be very confusing for the end user.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I believe the same thing as Endless. I think all of my screen savers have a 'while true' loop that there's no way to exit and obviously they all die when a remote button is pressed.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

"jbrave" wrote:
I could have sworn in a previous firmware version you had to actually listen for keypresses on the messageport in order to to know if the user wanted to terminate a screen saver. It seems that any keypress now kills the screensaver. I was hoping to make an interactive screensaver...

-Joel

Wouldn't this be the same as a screensaver that isn't a screensaver? That sounds simple enough - simply have the end user disable the screensaver in the main menu settings and there you go.
Or you could do something really neat - license Dragon's Lair, (the laserdisc game) and have it stream sections/clips for the whole game for your screensaver. That way the internal screensaver will never turn on and it would be interactive just like you wanted. 🙂
0 Kudos