Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kbenson
Visitor

Re: Screen Pops but lose control

Yeah, semicolon continually got me as well.

My teammate was using emacs, and never bothered to set up any syntax highlighting. I don't know how he managed. I found that the highlighting in vim for vb matched sufficiently well enough to find most problems. That, and setting up make to push (which it's already set to do in the examples) so you can push easily and often to check for errors, makes life SO much easier.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
cpawinsal
Visitor

One of the users here posted an emacs minor-mode. I'm using it. If I had good command of Emacs, it would not be so bad. But, try cutting and pasting in that thing. And, if you are a shortcut lover, forget about it. I can't tell you how many times I hit ctrl v and wound up down a the bottom of the page. Or select, cut, select text to copy over, paste and the text you cut does not show up... it makes a copy of the text you just highlighted. Unix freaks.

BTW, Kevin, I know now that there's no problem with using one thread and in fact that makes a lot of sense. In lieu of any discussions regarding threading, how about a troubleshooting section of the typical problems (if you're seeing this... you may consider trying this). Nonetheless, it works, it's cool, it's even fun despite some of the tools I'd like to have. I'm sure that's just around the corner though.

Cheers,
Al
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

It's just a matter of bypassing your ingrained conceptions about how cut and paster are supposed to behave. Which is hard, I imagine. I'm lucky enough to have used vi/vim for a long time.

The thing with vim and Emacs is that you can be amazingly productive with them when you know all the commands/shortcuts or define your own. If I have to move a hand from the keyboard while coding, my editor has failed me.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"cpawinsal" wrote:
BTW, it would be nice if someone opened up an open source project on the SDK. An eclipse plug in or perhaps a java API that outputs members as BrightScript or xml instantiation or anything with an IDE. About 90 percent of my problems were mispellings that are not caught until compile (as well as type declarations ";" at the ends of my calls... lol). Plus, writing in Emacs (better than nothin') is miserable for me.

You might want to check this out: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=31199
It's probably not as feature rich as you're actually talking about, but it's a good start:
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos