Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kbenson
Visitor

SDK 2.6: roImageCanvas button events

Am I missing something in the SDK, or did you forget the events for button presses? In my own testing on roImageCanvas a few days ago, I came across the following indices (.getIndex()) for specific buttons:
up=2
down=3
left=4
right=5
select=6
rewind=8
ff=9
play/pause=13

The roImageCanvas example code in the component reference document show what up is, the customvideoplayer example source gives more information on this through example, so it's not *completely* undocumented, but it would be nice to have it referenced someone in the docs.

Also, is there some preferred location for submitting info about SDK suggestions? A wiki with the BrightScript Reference Manual and RokuDVP Component Reference in wiki format would go a long way towards getting info about new features out to developers without having to do a full SDK realease, as well as crowdsource documentation improvements. If done right, you could probably fork/branch the wiki before an SDK release, fix up and problems you see in it and remove experimental features, and export to PDF. That's a win situation for Roku and the developers.

Edit: clarified that I was referring to the event index to identify the button
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Visitor

Re: SDK 2.6: roImageCanvas button events

It's a bug. Currently roImageCanvas requires a button to receive events for button presses.. Should have it fixed before too long.

That's a great suggestion on SDK suggestions. For the moment, this forum is the best place for suggestions.
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"RokuPatrick" wrote:
It's a bug. Currently roImageCanvas requires a button to receive events for button presses.. Should have it fixed before too long.

That's a great suggestion on SDK suggestions. For the moment, this forum is the best place for suggestions.

Actually, that's not my experience. I was getting events and identifying buttons by index while having a roImageCanvas object, setting the port, and calling .show(). It never changed the screen from the main channel selection screen, but I was able to receive events and determine the type and index. I actually wrote my whole roImageCanvas test app logic (sans GUI) this way using debug prints.

What I was actually referring to is the fact that the remote button to index mapping is not listed in the SDK, which is a small thing, but better to not require someone to write a test app to discover (like I did).
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

Gotcha, sorry, misread.
0 Kudos