Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tyler_Smith
Binge Watcher

RowList items rendering incorrectly when not focused on row

Since updating to 7.1 we are noticing that creating children in rowList items are rendering other items contents randomly when you are not focused on that row. Is anyone else experiencing this?
Tyler Smith
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: RowList items rendering incorrectly when not focused on

Can you provide an example?

I have noticed that with a focusXOffset set high enough that the item to the left is partially visible, that it will flicker as new items are added to the row, and the counter will increase with each new item added. Makes sense, but it can be distracting, so I worked around it by using a placeholder ContentNode for the row and calling replaceChild to replace the row after the content is completely loaded, so the screen isn't constantly updating as the row is populated. Sounds similar to what you're describing, but I'm not sure.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
Tyler_Smith
Binge Watcher

Let's say I have 3 rows with several items in them.
Each row item contains an image and 2 Labels.

Instead of adding the Poster and Labels via XML I add them to the item via m.top.createChild("Poster") and m.top.createChild("Label").
In some cases an item may have 1 or 2 labels, and in one case, no label.

On initial load everything looks ok. But once you focus on a row and then move to another and start scrolling back and forth the content from other items start replacing/appending (kind of random) each other. I dropped the opacity of the poster out of curiosity and also notice that other items posters are being created below the correct poster.

If I add the Poster via XML with an id of poster, and target it via m.poster = m.top.findNode("poster") the image issue does not happen.
This is also the case with the Labels but it adds a snafu as I will have other visual items such as episode flags and duration markers which will also jump around if I don't default add them to the components children.

Unfortunately I can't share a screenshot due to an NDA with my client.
Hopefully I've explained my issue well enough.
Tyler Smith
0 Kudos
Tyler_Smith
Binge Watcher

To note, this same code was not an issue on 7.0
Tyler Smith
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"Tyler Smith" wrote:
Hopefully I've explained my issue well enough.

Yeah, unfortunately that does sound like a different issue than I described. Hopefully someone from Roku can chime in.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos