Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
belthur
Visitor

Roku sends a 404 on /Keypress/Home

The initial MSEARCH handshake is fine. Now when I am trying to get HOME to work I get a 404...Dev mode is enabled.

As per the External control guide this is what I am sending via POST : "/keypress/Home HTTP/1.1\r\n\r\n"

any thoughts ?
ROKU : 2000C
N1000 *
MODEM: Linksys CM100
ROUTER: WRT54G
CNXn: Comcast 18Mbps
TV: Toshiba 720p HDTV
Receiver : Onkyo TX-SR608
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku sends a 404 on /Keypress/Home

Specific implementation will vary depending on the language and tools you're using, but in general terms, /keypress/Home is the path you want to send the request to and not part of the POST data. So, for example, this works fine for me from a terminal:

curl -d "" "http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8060/keypress/Home"

Where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP of a Roku.
0 Kudos
belthur
Visitor

"RokuChris" wrote:
Specific implementation will vary depending on the language and tools you're using, but in general terms, /keypress/Home is the path you want to send the request to and not part of the POST data. So, for example, this works fine for me from a terminal:

curl -d "" "http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8060/keypress/Home"

Where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP of a Roku.

I was sending it as request data...ok. I will try this tonight. Thanks !
N1000 *
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

It appears to be case sensitive 'keypress' works, but 'Keypress' does not (returns 404).

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
belthur
Visitor

Thanks for the response. I got the controls to work. But the actions seems to be spotty at best.

Home works every time. But keys like Up or down or left or right have to be pressed like 5-10 times before they work once...Is there a time out required between each command send ?

Update : Some more info...

The UP and DOWN keys seems to be working fine when inside a title..for example if I select "Monk Season 3" and get the options like Play, select another episode etc...UP and DOWN keys work fine.

All the navigation keys have to be clicked/sent anywhere between 5-10 times for the action to happen once ONLY inside NETFLIX. I haven't tested others.

Please somebody tell me how to correct it or fix if the command parsing in roku is broken. It's frustrating.

Update

Confirmed. Up/Down/Right/Left doesn't work properly ONLY in Netflix.

Do the Roku engineers maintain Netflix app or should I go over to Netflix forums and tell them ?
N1000 *
0 Kudos
pirey4
Visitor

"belthur" wrote:
Thanks for the response. I got the controls to work. But the actions seems to be spotty at best.

Home works every time. But keys like Up or down or left or right have to be pressed like 5-10 times before they work once...Is there a time out required between each command send ?

The UP and DOWN keys seems to be working fine when inside a title..for example if I select "Monk Season 3" and get the options like Play, select another episode etc...UP and DOWN keys work fine.

All the navigation keys have to be clicked/sent anywhere between 5-10 times for the action to happen once ONLY inside NETFLIX. I haven't tested others.

Please somebody tell me how to correct it or fix if the command parsing in roku is broken. It's frustrating.

Update

Do the Roku engineers maintain Netflix app or should I go over to Netflix forums and tell them ?

I reported the keypress problem on the Netflix channel back in September when I was working with 2.7 firmware. Not sure of when this will be addressed. My findings then:

Function Works in 2.7
/keydown/Up Yes
/keyup/Up Yes
/keydown/Down Yes
/keyup/Down Yes
/keydown/Fwd Yes
/keyup/Fwd Yes
/keydown/Rew Yes (if you use Rev instead of Rew)
/keyup/Rew Yes (if you use Rev instead of Rew)
/keypress/Up Yes
/keypress/Down Yes
/keypress/Left No
/keypress/Right No
/keypress/Fwd No
/keypress/Rew No (not even with Rev instead of Rew)
0 Kudos
belthur
Visitor

"pirey4" wrote:
"belthur" wrote:

Update

I reported the keypress problem on the Netflix channel back in September when I was working with 2.7 firmware. Not sure of when this will be addressed. My findings then:

Function Works in 2.7
/keydown/Up Yes
/keyup/Up Yes
/keydown/Down Yes
/keyup/Down Yes
/keydown/Fwd Yes
/keyup/Fwd Yes
/keydown/Rew Yes (if you use Rev instead of Rew)
/keyup/Rew Yes (if you use Rev instead of Rew)
/keypress/Up Yes
/keypress/Down Yes
/keypress/Left No
/keypress/Right No
/keypress/Fwd No
/keypress/Rew No (not even with Rev instead of Rew)

I have been trying just with keypress. Let me simulate a keypress with keydown and keyup like you have noted. That should work.

Are you working with 2.8 SDK ? Is it out yet ?
N1000 *
0 Kudos
pirey4
Visitor

The 2.8 firmware is out but I have not see a new SDK yet. I actually need the keypress versions of the commands to work for my application.
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

There are no new keypress commands in v2.8.

The following commands should all work:
/keypress/Up
/keypress/Down
/keypress/Left
/keypress/Right
/keypress/Fwd
/keypress/Rev

/keypress/Back
/keypress/Home
/keypress/Select
/keypress/InstantReplay
/keypress/Info
/keypress/Backspace
/keypress/Search
/keypress/Play
/keypress/Enter

--Kevin
0 Kudos
pirey4
Visitor

"RokuKevin" wrote:
There are no new keypress commands in v2.8.

The following commands should all work:
/keypress/Up
/keypress/Down
/keypress/Left
/keypress/Right
/keypress/Fwd
/keypress/Rev

/keypress/Back
/keypress/Home
/keypress/Select
/keypress/InstantReplay
/keypress/Info
/keypress/Backspace
/keypress/Search
/keypress/Play
/keypress/Enter

--Kevin

Do all these work within the Netflix channel? This is where we are having issues. The commands seem to work on the main screen and in other channels.

I just tested again in the Netflix channel on 2.8 and /keypress/Left, /keypress/Right, /Keypress/Fwd, /Keypress/Rev, and /Keypress/Search do not work.

Is there a particular build I need? I tried reloading the Netflix channel but they commands still do not work.
0 Kudos