Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joe_haase
Visitor

Roku and Wowza media server

I have been using Wowza Server on and off for the last few months, and am getting a problem I can't seem to figgure out.

We are re streaming shoutcast audio into the server, and spitting it back out to our clients. We have to do this, because the location of the shoutcast server is a mobile broadband connection, and can only support 3-4 clients reliably. When we try and load our stream address into the AudioPlayer App, it dosen't connect up. We have changed the stream format from mp3 to hls in the app, but still aren't having any luck.

Has anyone tried this?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku and Wowza media server

Do you know if Wowza is outputting MP3 or AAC audio? Roku's HLS implementation currently only supports AAC audio.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
joe_haase
Visitor

I would imagine it's mp3.... since the native shoutcast stream would be mp3... I wound't understand why one technology would work with mp3, but not the other?? I did run into audio troubles when getting my live video feed up and running.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"joe.haase" wrote:
I would imagine it's mp3.... since the native shoutcast stream would be mp3... I wound't understand why one technology would work with mp3, but not the other?? I did run into audio troubles when getting my live video feed up and running.

I'm not sure why, either, but it's a known issue with HLS on the Roku. Only AAC is supported. RokuKevin has asked for examples of HLS streams with MP3 audio in the past, which would suggest they're considering adding support, but as of 2.8, still no go.
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

We're still looking for an example hls mp3 stream.. Please post the link (or private message to me) if you have one we can look at.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"RokuKevin" wrote:
We're still looking for an example hls mp3 stream.. Please post the link (or private message to me) if you have one we can look at.

--Kevin

PM'd.
0 Kudos