Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Roku Spotlight /query/icon

Beside being a non-removable eyesore in the channel lineup between "Settings" and "Channel Store", "Roku Spotlight" is being a bother with its often-changing icon. I have a remote app for iPhone that uses ECP to fetch list of channels and Spotlight comes in the /query/apps list
<app id="5127" version="1.0.22">Roku Spotlight</app>

I can get the current icon for it with /query/icon just fine. I cache the icons so i can quickly display 20-30 icons in channel launchpad. The question is how do i detect the icon has changed so i download it again?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Spotlight /query/icon

What about caching the version number and checking that? Does it not change when the spotlight channel changes?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
What about caching the version number and checking that? Does it not change when the spotlight channel changes?

You'd think they'd bother to bump the version... but nope, unfortunately it doesn't; i have that checked.
Otherwise is great idea.
0 Kudos
YungBlood
Streaming Star

I'm surprised you can't get the description of the channel either. Looks like you're stuck downloading it every time... 😞
YungBlood

Bringing more fun to Roku!
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"YungBlood" wrote:
I'm surprised you can't get the description of the channel either. Looks like you're stuck downloading it every time... 😞

... or i can just drop that P.O.S. from the channel lineup, like the Roku Inc app does. Hmm, such a not-so-difficult choice to make
0 Kudos
YungBlood
Streaming Star

Or create your own generic "Spotlight" icon, and use that...
YungBlood

Bringing more fun to Roku!
0 Kudos