Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
destruk
Binge Watcher

Roku Registry (16KB)

What happens when this fills up with keys? Will the channel crash to the debugger or will it ignore the write request, or will it automatically remove the oldest keys to make room?
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
jbrave
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Registry (16KB)

I think it plays the pacman "they meet" theme song 🙂

would be fun to find out, actually, but the question is, is it really 16k or is there some overhead so that you really only get 10k or something? You could try storing a 16k string to the registry, retrieving it, and then comparing it to the original.

- Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I experimented with this quite a while back and I don't think I ever got a save to the registry to fail. However, it becomes so slow to store or retrieve anything from the registry after a while that you wouldn't want to store that much information in it.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

How can I count how many registry keys exist for my app, without knowing their specific names? - so I could delete some by the name discovered in a loop or list of some kind?
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

Look at the Component Guide in the SDK for info on roRegistry and roRegistrySection, it should be fairly straight forward.

Be aware that any channels packaged with the same dev id will share the same registry. If one channel is in the habit of deleting unknown registry entries, and another channel uses the same dev id and stores data in the registry, you could have issues.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

GetSectionList and GetKeyList. thanks
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"kbenson" wrote:

Be aware that any channels packaged with the same dev id will share the same registry.

For clarification, I mean the dev id created by the Roku box in the packaging process (NOT your Roku developer account). Others dev ids can be generated, and as long as you have the id/password from when it was generated, you can switch between them.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos