Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greubel
Visitor

Roku 3

When do we get a new SDK ?
Really need the something for the gaming remote.
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Visitor

Re: Roku 3

No SDK update just yet, but we do have some things in mind. Except for the buttons, the motion remote integrations requires the NDK, and if you're going to use the buttons, you should use them for additional features, not required features since only Roku2 XS, Roku2, and some Streaming Sticks will have them.
0 Kudos
anthonywebb
Visitor

I am just getting started on creating my first channel... Should I wait for a new SDK as it appears the interface is changing, right?
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

"anthonywebb" wrote:
I am just getting started on creating my first channel... Should I wait for a new SDK as it appears the interface is changing, right?

Old screentypes will continue to be supported. No need to wait for an indeterminate amount of time.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuPatrick" wrote:
Except for the buttons, the motion remote integrations requires the NDK, and if you're going to use the buttons

When are those going to show up in ECP? I remember there was a preliminary documentation on that over a year ago, talking about injecting values for acceleration and such - that would work great with smartphones and is not something prone to abuse.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

I know of no current plans to allow for that.
0 Kudos
greubel
Visitor

One thing that is a minor issue with the new interface. When you go into one of your channels and then come back out, the select goes back to the category. It would be more convenient to leave the select where it was, in the user channels.
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Visitor

^Try exiting using the Back button rather than Home.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
macharborguy
Visitor

I am very interested to see what type of HTML5 support for channel building will be made available (using only HTML5 and its complementary features such as CSS3, JavaScript, possibly local database via SQLite). I haven't been able to get my head wrapped around the current Roku channel development process mainly because I am so focused on working on my own website, as well as offer my "Let's Play" style of videos via my site and my YouTube channel.

My biggest hope is that, Google will be a bit more relaxed with their current grip on videos with their service, and that with HTML5 standards, videos (with proper ads) can be embedded into any developers apps, just like than can be with websites currently. But I am guessing that is everyones hope.

In addition, i hope that the Roku 3's method of HTML5/CSS3 display allows us to target the Roku 3 via the TV media type or User Agent sniffing, giving web designers in this age of "responsive web design" the ability to design their websites to act like a Roku TV app when displayed on said device. My website currently works on desktops (duh), but will sooner or later have its CSS modified to have trimmed down Mobile interface. If the future of Roku channel development allows for a simple website to become a channel with just a few meta tags and navigation hooks (tab index?), the number of Roku channels would simply explode.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuPatrick" wrote:
I know of no current plans to allow for that.

Why not consider allowing us ECP access to motion commands? I propose to publish that functionality!

Since newestest remotes (for "the stick" and Roku3) use WiFi Direct, you already have TCP/IP communication for motion commands and just have to open it to devs.

There are no security risks involved ("oh nooo!, somebody is playing Angry Birds without the motion remote they lost?") but it will add an extra "oomph" Roku needs on Apple and Google platforms (not having AirPlay is major drawback).

My skin in this is trying to keep my Remote for Roku app on iPhone relevant (naturally getting trumped by the Roku brand app over the last year) and i suspect developers of DVPRemote and Android remotes will be interested too.

Back to "the birds", i'd like to try to enhance the play by using the touch screen to control direction and throw of the bird - by in-app translating touch to motion commands. If you had played the birds on tablet or phone, you know how more precise the tactile targeting is from wii-style remote wielding.
0 Kudos