Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bryanv
Visitor

Roku 2D API & Screen Resolution

Howdy.

I'm working on writing a channel that will need to make extensive use of the 2D api's on roScreen. I can't seem to find anything in the component reference that details what interfaces have what functions. I'm wondering if there's a cheat-sheet or something that details the available 2d api's / functions / methods?

I've also noticed that the simple2D (and the other sample channels) are creating screens with a max resolution of 1280 x 720. I understand that for maximum compatibility, writing against 720p is the thing to do, but I'd really like to be able to draw / render at 1080p (1920x1080) resolution as well. I understand that the roku will up-scale automagically, but I really want the finer resolution, not just 'everything twice as big'.

Regards and thanks for any help,
-Bryan
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku 2D API & Screen Resolution

Documentation of the roScreen and its interfaces can be found in the BrightScript Reference.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
bryanv
Visitor

Thanks. That's not where I was expecting it to be.

Judging from the docs I'm reading, it looks like you can only setup the roScreen to draw in 1280x720 mode, but it will up-scale to 1080p (so the monitor / tv doesn't switch display modes).

Bummer. I -really- wanted the higher-resolution for the channel I'm creating. I assume that all the photo channels (picassa, etc.) use the 720p resolution for displaying photos? What a bummer.
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"bryanv" wrote:
Thanks. That's not where I was expecting it to be.

It's somewhat confused by the history of BrightScript, which was (and is?) used for other products, such as BrightSign. Components that are common to all products that use the BrightScript language are in the BrightScript reference manual, while Roku specific components are in the Component reference.

I still think a wiki (or SOME sort of online reference) would be ideal for this.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
bryanv
Visitor

"kbenson" wrote:
I still think a wiki (or SOME sort of online reference) would be ideal for this.

No Kidding! Or if not a wiki, some sort of java-doc, or doxygen generated documentation would make it a lot easier to reference the objects and classes.
0 Kudos