Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rico138
Visitor

Roku 2 XS issue playing HLS with A/V Cable

I found out in the hard way that our live streaming (.m3u8) works only with 720p and 1080p on the Roku settings.
If by default the Roku is set for 4:3 or 16:9 everything works but, the HLS is just retrieving.
Live streaming spec:
h.264 baseline 3.0
640 x 480 @ ~ 700kbps
AAC-LC @ 128 kbps
If I connect the A/V cable into the Roku2 XS, it only shows 4:3 and 16:9 option. Where is the 720p option?
If I use the Roku 1, 4:3, 16:9 and 720p are available using the standard RCA cable.
The LCDV TV display 480i for our live streaming.
I know that we need to move forward with the technology, but I want to support our viewers that do not have HDMI available on their TV's.
Please advise if 720p option could be fix with Roku2 update.
I know that Roku2 XS is capable of playing this streaming. We did a little trick. We connect the HDMI cable to get the Live streaming running, then we momentary switched to A/V cable, and it works without any issues.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
kc8pql
Visitor

Re: Roku 2 XS issue playing HLS with A/V Cable

You may want to post this in the developer forum. It's more likely to be seen by the Roku staff who can answer your questions there.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Channel Surfer

I'll move the topic 🙂

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
stratcat96
Visitor

problem is that composite cables with not carry anything greater than 480 lines of interlaced scan, so no one who has a non-hd television or who is using composite cables will likely select a 720p option anyway. It sounds like you have your stream quality set at HD, but 640 x 480 @ ~ 700kbps isn't HD.. Try changing the stream quality tag on your code from "HD" to "SD" that way it will be available to all resolution settings
0 Kudos