Roku Developer Program

Developers and content creators—a complete solution for growing an audience directly.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bkc302
Level 7

RoImageCanvas Screen Resolution

This is probably a simple question but I can't seem to find an answer. I am just assuming that I make my RoImageCanvas screens to use 1280x720 but what if someones Roku was using 720x480, would everything automatically resize or would I have images running off the screen? Thanks in advance. 
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Komag
Level 9

Re: RoImageCanvas Screen Resolution

I assume it behaves the same as with roScreen (but I'm not sure) - it will just resize, no problem
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Level 7

Unfortunately, no.  The roImageCanvas will not scale automatically.  You'll need to adjust your layers according to the screen resolution.

Here's a previous discussion about this in which I provided some code that I use to accomplish this without too much headache: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=47220&p=321624#p321271
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
bkc302
Level 7

Thanks, I was hoping that it would scale automatically. @TheEndless, is there anyway you can give a quick example of how to use your HDRectToSDRect() function. Thanks in advance. 

(Edit) I have changed from 1080p to 720p and my channel still looks as it should, not sure if this will always be the case though.
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 8

720p isn't SD, so I don't think you've accomplished anything by changing resolution.  You really need to test on an old SD TV.

-JT
0 Kudos
bkc302
Level 7

@renojim not sure what I was thinking lol. You are correct I didn't accomplish anything. Now that I know that RoImageCanvas does not resize, is there a list of resolutions that Roku uses? It seems that I can only test in 1280x720 because I don't have an older tv or older roku.
0 Kudos