Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bkc302
Visitor

RoImageCanvas Screen Resolution

This is probably a simple question but I can't seem to find an answer. I am just assuming that I make my RoImageCanvas screens to use 1280x720 but what if someones Roku was using 720x480, would everything automatically resize or would I have images running off the screen? Thanks in advance. 
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Komag
Roku Guru

Re: RoImageCanvas Screen Resolution

I assume it behaves the same as with roScreen (but I'm not sure) - it will just resize, no problem
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Unfortunately, no.  The roImageCanvas will not scale automatically.  You'll need to adjust your layers according to the screen resolution.

Here's a previous discussion about this in which I provided some code that I use to accomplish this without too much headache: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=47220&p=321624#p321271
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
bkc302
Visitor

Thanks, I was hoping that it would scale automatically. @TheEndless, is there anyway you can give a quick example of how to use your HDRectToSDRect() function. Thanks in advance. 

(Edit) I have changed from 1080p to 720p and my channel still looks as it should, not sure if this will always be the case though.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

720p isn't SD, so I don't think you've accomplished anything by changing resolution.  You really need to test on an old SD TV.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
bkc302
Visitor

@renojim not sure what I was thinking lol. You are correct I didn't accomplish anything. Now that I know that RoImageCanvas does not resize, is there a list of resolutions that Roku uses? It seems that I can only test in 1280x720 because I don't have an older tv or older roku.
0 Kudos