Roku Developer Program

Developers and content creators—a complete solution for growing an audience directly.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Level 11

Remotely reboot Roku, official word on it?

I am considering adding "reboot" option to my remote control app for Roku. I have seen oodles of complains of performance deteriorating with some channels etc (random pick, viewtopic.php?f=34&t=50688&p=344036&hilit=reboot#p344036 ) and there is no way to restart the player through the UI. The "Dump Core" sequence seem to have been disabled in 2012 for ECP or telnet access, so a remote app won't be able to do that.

I found an undocumented way (a bug) to cause a restart and i am tempted to implement reboot through it as convenience for the viewers (vs having to unplug power - must be hilarious for the streaming stick).

I am requesting feedback here, perhaps getting dissuaded from using that. Is Roku adding restart option in the public menus (come on, Tivo has that, DirecTV has that... Roku box is not infallible either)? Or will Roku sanction an ECP way to restart?
0 Kudos
14 Replies
TheEndless
Level 9

Re: Remotely reboot Roku, official word on it?

There's a reboot option in the new secret screen: Home x 5, FF, Play, Rewind, Play, FF
Presumably it doesn't dump the core first, as it's much faster. I don't know if it's accessible via ECP or not, though.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Level 11

Re: Remotely reboot Roku, official word on it?

"TheEndless" wrote:
There's a reboot option in the new secret screen: Home x 5, FF, Play, Rewind, Play, FF
Presumably it doesn't dump the core first, as it's much faster. I don't know if it's accessible via ECP or not, though.

Yeah, i saw the new "Platform Secret Screen" but it is a bit:
a) "too little" - not accessible via ECP(http), key combo ignored
b) "too late" - does not work on Roku1 (even manually - no wonder, since no fw updates)
It is a stride in right direction, though.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Level 11

Re: Remotely reboot Roku, official word on it?

320 days later and i still have not seen response from Roku*.
Come on, Roku stars - chime in. Or is "official word" in the title not clear about who i was sending the question to?

Perhaps company is concerned about prank restarts of the box. If so, the mentioned by TheEndless "platform secret screen" seems reasonable - make the Konami-code for it ECP dial-able on all players. Then after app shortcut button, people can choose restart from on-screen menu - or if someone pranks the viewer, one will see what's going on - and also have time to counter with own remote.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Remotely reboot Roku, official word on it?

Yes, we are concerned about prank restarts and other similar issues. To the best of my knowledge this isn't something we are going to implement.

- Joel
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Level 11

Re: Remotely reboot Roku, official word on it?

"RokuJoel" wrote:
Yes, we are concerned about prank restarts and other similar issues. To the best of my knowledge this isn't something we are going to implement.

Well, that can be addressed with CAPTCHA-style approach, where on restart request user is asked to press 2- or 3-button combination (or numeric PIN) that is displayed on screen and different every time, ensuring the human reads it from the screen.

Hmm. It is strange whereas AppleTV, Chromecast, Tivo, DirecTv have software restart option tucked somewhere, Roku player opines itself infallible.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Level 9

Re: Remotely reboot Roku, official word on it?

"EnTerr" wrote:
"RokuJoel" wrote:
Yes, we are concerned about prank restarts and other similar issues. To the best of my knowledge this isn't something we are going to implement.

Well, that can be addressed with CAPTCHA-style approach, where on restart request user is asked to press 2- or 3-button combination (or numeric PIN) that is displayed on screen and different every time, ensuring the human reads it from the screen.

Hmm. It is strange whereas AppleTV, Chromecast, Tivo, DirecTv have software restart option tucked somewhere, Roku player opines itself infallible.

Roku also has one tucked away, it's just hidden in one of the secret screens.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Level 8

Re: Remotely reboot Roku, official word on it?

I thought this discussion was about remote booting. Do those other streamers all have a reboot command that you can send over the network? And do none of those players "opine them themselves infallible"? Smiley Very Happy

--Mark
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Level 11

Re: Remotely reboot Roku, official word on it?

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
I thought this discussion was about remote booting. Do those other streamers all have a reboot command that you can send over the network? And do none of those players "opine them themselves infallible"? Smiley Very Happy

It is about being able to restart by using a remote (including with remote app - a topic near&dear to me, apparently).

In the examples i pointed, one can restart the player by using the remote (while keeping their phat ass on the couch) if deemed necessary. By not considering that option, it seems to me Roku says "you won't need to manually restart, ever". It contrasts on the background of Tivo and AppleTV having it, in particular (Tivo being praised for its UI and Apple known for arrogance in deciding what users do and don't need).
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Level 8

Re: Remotely reboot Roku, official word on it?

Well, as TheEndless as said, Roku has one too.

--Mark
0 Kudos