Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andysmith1965
Streaming Star

Registry and Task Nodes

Hi

I read that prior to firmware 8.0 roRegistry and roRegistrySection components could only be used in a task thread. However since firmware 8.0, this is no longer the case.

Is it therefore OK to read/write to the registry without using a task or is it still considered bad practice to do this outside of a task?

Regards

Andy Smith
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuNB
Roku Guru

Re: Registry and Task Nodes

Nope. Anything that takes more than a few milliseconds, you shouldn't be doing it on the render thread (can do in main thread of task thread).

I read that prior to firmware 8.0 roRegistry and roRegistrySection components could only be used in a task thread. However since firmware 8.0, this is no longer the case.

Where did you read that? Specifically the "prior to firmware 8.0" and "this is no longer the case" parts
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Why would accessing the registry take more than a few milliseconds? Pre-8.x, you'd get a run-time error if you tried to access the registry from outside the main or task threads. That error is gone, so I'm assuming it's ok. I'll deal with the ramifications if/when they occur, but I'm using the registry as a simple way to pass setup information to my components (i.e., not for communication) in my most recently published channel.

Roku's documentation has always trailed reality by months if not years.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
andysmith1965
Streaming Star

"RokuNB" wrote:
Nope. Anything that takes more than a few milliseconds, you shouldn't be doing it on the render thread (can do in main thread of task thread).

I read that prior to firmware 8.0 roRegistry and roRegistrySection components could only be used in a task thread. However since firmware 8.0, this is no longer the case.

Where did you read that? Specifically the "prior to firmware 8.0" and "this is no longer the case" parts

Hi
I read it as part of the comments here...
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/509 ... o-registry
Andy
0 Kudos