Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
b_live883
Visitor

Re: ROKU Time servers down?

(Update for Time server issue)

Up here in Canada with Bell ... their dns is still pointing to ur old timeservers ips.. this has created a disaster here for thousands... Youtube doesnt work .. you get a black screen... most apps that rely on datetime object for authentication just exit or spit out an error. (Note: Netflix does work)

Time shows as December 9 2015 .. for everyone.. the only FIX is to change DNS in the BELL router to googles or any other DNS that has the updated entries.. such as 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4..

I contacted Roku only to get a response from your call center overseas that this is normal... I dont think its normal there is no time on home screen.. Its been 3 days there is no TIME.. Im a programmer and I know what to do but most others have a hard time changing the dns...

As for Bell Canada I dont think they care .. They were notified.. This situation is probably good for them.. but whats strange is why propagation is taking this long.. it doesnt make sense..

Is there any way to get you guys to contact Bell Canada to Fix this?

Im sorry to jump in on ur post joetesta.. but u mentioned time servers and this is a big issue here since Bell Canada serves hundreds of thousands of clients and many people have rokus here...
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

We have just reactivated the old IP addresses so locales that are still caching the old address should be working again. We will make sure that we see no traffic to the old addresses before we deactivate them again.

--Mark
0 Kudos
b_live883
Visitor

You guys are great... I just confirmed it.. and it works.. thats professionalism..
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

"b_live883" wrote:
(Update for Time server issue)
Im sorry to jump in on ur post joetesta.. but u mentioned time servers and this is a big issue here since Bell Canada serves hundreds of thousands of clients and many people have rokus here...

Don't be sorry, glad I started the thread now that we know this actually was a problem for more than just me!
cheers,
Joe
aspiring
0 Kudos
johnpenner

hi — today is new years day 2022 — my venerable Roku Soundbridge M1001 was showing: 

11:46 Sunday, February 20, 2022

when i walked in this morning — snafu — i was able to go to the device's internal webpage at: 

http://soundbridge.local/SoundBridgeConfig.html

where the: Time Zone & Network Time were set to:

Time Server: time.rokulabs.com

which are no longer responding correctly —> thus yielding wrong time on the M1001

SOLUTION that WORKED: setting the network time server to: 

time.apple.com

thank you apple & thank you roku for making updatable user-configurable products — i dont have to throw it out, because i love it as a clock, and it still streams music purrfectly. 🎶

john penner, 
toronto island

0 Kudos