Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KDOV
Visitor

Problems with my Roku channel on LT (with Grid Screen)

Hi,
I'm working on building a channel... I have the development working and functioning well - tested on the Roku 2 XS. However, when I test it on a Roku LT - I run into problems when 'exiting' a video.. The problem is that the grid screen doesn't refresh properly (on exiting the video).
This problem only shows up when I test it on the Roku LT - not the Roku 2 XS.
Here is a link to the private channel: https://owner.roku.com/add/theDove
Here is the access code for the private channel: TD7Y4
I'd appreciate any feedback or thoughts on whether this is a coding problem - or whether I need to limit this channel to Roku 2 and up??!
Thanks
-Michael.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Problems with my Roku channel on LT (with Grid Screen)

It's also an issue on the Roku 1, for what it's worth. The "fix" is to hide the grid screen prior to displaying the video screen. I usually put up an roPosterScreen as a facade, then close the grid, then show the video screen.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
KDOV
Visitor

Thanks for your help on this...
While the initial problem (of the grid not redrawing on vid exit/close) is resolved - I know have the problem that on my Roku XS - I get a green flash when I close the video. However, I do not have this problem on my Roku LT.
What am I doing wrong??!
screenFacade = CreateObject("roGridScreen")
screenFacade.show()

grid.Close()

video.SetContent(videoclip)
video.show()

lastSavedPos = 0
statusInterval = 10 'position must change by more than this number of seconds before saving

while true
vidmsg = wait(0, video.GetMessagePort())
if type(vidmsg) = "roVideoScreenEvent" then
print "showVideoScreen | vidmsg = "; vidmsg.GetMessage() " | index = "; vidmsg.GetIndex()
if vidmsg.isScreenClosed()
print "Screen closed"
exit while
elseif vidmsg.isRequestFailed()
print "Video request failure: "; vidmsg.GetIndex(); " " vidmsg.GetData()
elseif vidmsg.isStatusMessage()
print "status message: "; vidmsg.GetMessage()
elseif msg.isButtonPressed()
print "Button pressed: "; vidmsg.GetIndex(); " " vidmsg.GetData()
elseif vidmsg.isPlaybackPosition()
print "playback position: "; vidmsg.GetIndex()
else
print "Unexpected event type: "; vidmsg.GetType()
end if
else
print "Unexpected message class: "; type(vidmsg)
end if
end while
screenFacade.close()

As per theEndless's suggestion - I tried closing the Grid, after launching the Facade.... however - I can't work out how to restart the Grid, when the Video closes. I tried grid.Show(), but it just crashed out.
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

I don't know if this is what's causing the problem, but you're using a grid screen rather than a poster screen as the facade.

--Mark
0 Kudos
KDOV
Visitor

Thanks Mark... I switched to a Poster Screen as the facade - but still the same problem - the green flash - when exiting/closing the video.
At the moment - I'm launching a facade, then the video... then closing the facade as the video exits....
theEndless suggested closing the grid screen as well.... if I do this - how do I relaunch it when I exit the video? Does it have to be reinitialized etc?
Any thoughts on why I get this issue on the Roku XS and not the Roku LT?
thanks -- Michael
0 Kudos
KDOV
Visitor

RESOLVED!
Okay... I worked out that by adding sleep(25) with the facade close did the trick... Has eliminated the flash.
Thanks for the help.
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

Hi -
"KDOV" wrote:
I worked out that by adding sleep(25) with the facade close did the trick... Has eliminated the flash.

Would you be willing to share your code of how you implemented this? I'm having the same issue - launching video from a grid results in a green flash when the video is exited.
aspiring
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

it seems to be a function of the sleep time; with "25" I almost always see the green flash. With sleep of "40" it's about 1 in 4 times that the green flash shows up. With sleep of "50" I'm seeing it about 1 out of 10. At "75" I haven't seen it at all. Here's my code, fwiw:

' play the movie selected
shotfacade = CreateObject("roPosterScreen")
shotfacade.Show()
showVideoScreen(selection)
sleep(50)
shotfacade.Close()
aspiring
0 Kudos