Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kevintwister
Channel Surfer

Possible to have channel versions for older Roku devices?

As our channel continues to evolve, it's getting more advanced. This is causing a huge issue managing memory in the older devices like Roku 2, etc.

Is it possible to have a dumbed down version of our channel for the older devices? We don't think users with the newer devices should suffer by us being restricted to what the oldest device out there can handle.

So again, is it possible to have different versions that install depending on the device? If not, can older devices just be excluded?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Veeta
Visitor

Re: Possible to have channel versions for older Roku devices?

See https://blog.roku.com/developer/2018-ch ... n-criteria "How to submit non-RSG packages"
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

yes, i think it was announced on the blog or some such - but it's rather manu-matic process, you upload the newest version to the channel#, the old version to another, private channel - then email us at partnerSuccess at roku.com to install the older version for older models.

i personally would suggest another approach - have a single version of the app and downgrade gracefully inside it. I.e. if it's low-end/legacy model, just don't show the new, fancy UI - go with the old one
0 Kudos
kevintwister
Channel Surfer

Thanks guys. We're going to try the last solution give there by RokuNB.
0 Kudos