Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
b14d3
Visitor

Podcast stream not working

I know that there are issues with mp3-based hls streaming, however I've transcoded my audio (I know it's a bad idea generally because of the loss, but it's a matter of this working or not) into an aac codec, in an mp4 container. Here are the relevant pieces of code that I can think of.

For the xml:
		<streamFormat>mp3</streamFormat>
<media>
<streamBitrate></streamBitrate>
<streamURL>http://(ScaleEngine url)/NoSleep/01x01.mp4/playlist.m3u8</streamURL>
</media>

And for the Brightscript, I'm using Belltown's script for audio and video streaming, linked here:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=51192

I haven't modified the Brightscript at all, but I still get errors whenever I try to stream the audio, though video works just fine. The error I'm getting is "roAudioPlayerEvent: IsStatusMessage: Error parsing stream data." which I know is largely unhelpful. If you need other information, please ask because I'm not 100% sure what is needed to help out. I appreciate your time.
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Podcast stream not working

The most obvious issue is that you're specifying a streamFormat of mp3, whereas you should be specifying it as hls.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
b14d3
Visitor

Changed the formatting to hls, actually still getting the same error.
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Something doesn't add up. It's impossible that you could play the same stream (video-only as you say) with the format set to MP4 and again with it set to HLS. One of those settings is wrong, and that setting should cause it to totally fail to play anything.

In your original post you said you transcoded into an mp4 file. Is your stream MP4 or HLS?

--Mark
0 Kudos
b14d3
Visitor

Oh, let me clarify because I don't think something has come across via text very well.

The things that work (with video) are completely different things. When the format is audio-only, such as a podcast, I can't get it to work for some reason. They are not the same stream. I've tried transcoding it into an aac codec in the mp4 container, but I've still been getting the same error message on this stream.
0 Kudos
b14d3
Visitor

Still having the same issue, nothing I tried has been anything extraordinary. I've tried a different file, but get the same errors. Is there any other information I can provide to help?
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Can you post a public URL of one of the non-working streams? If you don't want to post it, you can PM it to me, although I may not have time to look at it immediately.

--Mark
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

I was able to play your stream in the simplevideoplayer sample by just replacing the url in line 175 with your URL, and changing StreamFormat in line 177 from "mp4" to "hls". If this doesn't work for you, let me know what firmware version you're running.

--Mark
0 Kudos
b14d3
Visitor

Much as I hate to ressurrect this old thread, I'm getting the same problem again with almost the exact same errors. The file that RokuMarkn tested works fine, but no other one does, and I'm getting the following error:

showHomeScreen | msg = An unexpected problem (but not server timeout or HTTP error) has been detected. | index = -3

The Brightscript that I'm using is from the SimpleVideoPlayer sample. What I'm more curious about now is with the upcoming software releases, is mp3-based HLS streaming going to be supported? I haven't been able to find recent information regarding this.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

HLS with mp3 audio generally works on firmware 4.x and later, in most cases, although I don't believe we officially support it, has been working since the Roku2 platform was released a few years ago.

- Joel
0 Kudos