Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pausing a live HLS stream

We've deployed Roku's to view live HLS content. One of the issues that we've run in to is pausing live content. Our playlists contain 6x 10 second segments, and the server holds 12 segments (in case a Roku gets out of sync a bit).

When I pause a live stream I see the Roku continue to download six additional segments, and then stop. When I hit play 5 minutes later it plays for about 60 seconds, and the buffers and switches back to live. Is there a way to have the Roku buffer more segments when it's paused? For a "pause live TV" offering, 60 seconds isn't even enough to get up and go to the bathroom.
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1

Re: Pausing a live HLS stream

I'm working on the same project with scottchiefbaker and posted this yesterday so I'll just combine it here.

"junglemuchacho" wrote:
How much can the Roku 3 or Roku 2XS buffer live HLS content? Is this buffering stored on the Roku itself or does it also rely on the server hosing the HLS segments?

What are the limits of the Roku (3 and 2XS specifically) to pause, fast forward and rewind live HLS content?

We're running into inconsistencies and issues with performing these actions on a live stream. When pausing for longer then a few minutes the stream will skip back to live. The most consistent problem is when fast forwarding buffered (or just live) the stream will play a segment or two and drop out to a "loading" screen. I'm not seeing any issues in debug with the videoScreen or anything else.

I'm using the basic settings for the content:
StreamFormat: "hls"
SwitchingStrategy: "full-adaptation"
Live: True
0 Kudos