Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
destruk
Binge Watcher

Password 4 characters?

So what is the reasoning behind requiring a password to use developer mode on a roku device? Are there billions of people hacking home networks to get package files from developers? Any way to disable the password requirement?
Shouldn't there also be a way to change the password? You can rekey the box with different developer keys, which are still required to package files, so now everyone needs two passwords to package anything, so why not go all out and add 10 or 20 more passwords, just to be sure?
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: Password 4 characters?

I don't believe there is a way around setting a password.

You can change the password from the developer settings screen with the reset password button.

- Joel
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

ah, ok, you mean the 'hidden' screen on the roku itself. As long as the browsers save the password then I guess that's fine so I don't need to enter it again. Thanks.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

It is the screen you get to by hitting home 5x, up 2x, right left right left right.

- Joel
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"destruk" wrote:
So what is the reasoning behind requiring a password to use developer mode on a roku device?

I wonder the same thing. My best guess is that maybe because for hist*rical reasons dev server is on port 80 and if somehow the player is not behind a NAT firewall (connected in the open, how?), it gets pummeled by the http bot beasties of the wild.

Or maybe because some YouTube-access-giving channel (VideoBuzz? am not sure) made themselves available via web page with side-loading javascript after being shot "public"ly and "private"ly (my vague recollection). Authentication requirement will throw a wrench in them javascript gears, wouldn't it?

Probably won't hear real explanation, just like for why/what/how/when on YouTube SNAFU, is inconvenient.
0 Kudos