Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Override remote key sound effects

Hi,

I am trying to get control over the sounds when clicking left/right/up/down/OK on the remote control within my application. I would like to switch them off if possible. I notice that Netflix manage to do this, but can't for the life of me find any documentation on how to do this. It occurred to me that this must be necessary for games also.

Thanks

Ben
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Override remote key sound effects

Can't do it. Games can do it because they use either the NDK, roScreen, or roImageCanvas (the last of which has the long standing firmware bug where FF/Rew produces the "dead end" sound).

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply. 

Seems Netflix use the NDK which would explain why they are able to. 
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

"renojim" wrote:
Can't do it.  Games can do it because they use either the NDK, roScreen, or roImageCanvas (the last of which has the long standing firmware bug where FF/Rew produces the "dead end" sound).

-JT

My game using roScreen has been getting that sound when hitting * for the past year or two, no fix in sight!
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Right after I posted about the FF/Rew in image canvas I remembered the * in roScreen. I can't remember if it always caused the "dead end" sound, but I know FF/Rew didn't always do it with roImageCanvas. Whether it was always there or not, it seems like a bug that's never getting fixed. :evil:

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

roScreen didn't used to have that issue with *, when I started in 2014 it didn't, but at some point between then and now it cropped up, some updated did it, and it's never ever ever ever been fixed after many updates since.
0 Kudos