Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PositivePeak
Visitor

Our First Private Channel

Hi all-

We just built our first Roku Channel and were looking for improvements. Namely... well.. everything. (lol) - We own six radio stations & 4 Livesream TV stations (which I wish we could figure out how to include) - two radio stations are psychic talk based & the other four are music based. When you get a chance, check it out and let us know what you think. All suggestions are greatly appreciated. And if you are a code writer who think he/she can help us, we'd really love to hear from you about improvements....

https://owner.roku.com/Account/ChannelCode/?code=MNYVP

Have a great weekend all!

Dave
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Our First Private Channel

I like it!

A few suggestions...
  • You might want to change the poster screen to use "arced-landscape" instead of "arced-portrait", since the logos are more landscape than portrait.

• Both the live and archive psychic streams have the same description. You might want to make it clear that the archive stream is a replay that you can't actually call into... 😛

• The screensaver doesn't seem to work. It goes to a black screen, which is usually an indication that it's crashed. If that's intentional, then cool, but it might be a little disorienting for the end user.

• Title updates might be nice on the music stations.

• I'd really like to see the "TV" part. Mind if I ask what's preventing that?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
PositivePeak
Visitor

Thank you so much!

lol.... the main reason is that I still haven't figured any of that stuff out yet. I would love to be able to include that stuff, but the examples are a challenge. I am too much of a newbie...

I really really wish I knew how to do all that. Any chance you could lend a hand ... in language that I could understand. I can edit zips, change code in all of the file with Eclipse and create new brs files. I just wish I knew exactly what code to put where.

I wonder why the screensaver crashes- it didn't do that on the Roku i sideloaded.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"PositivePeak" wrote:
Thank you so much!

lol.... the main reason is that I still haven't figured any of that stuff out yet. I would love to be able to include that stuff, but the examples are a challenge. I am too much of a newbie...

I really really wish I knew how to do all that. Any chance you could lend a hand ... in language that I could understand. I can edit zips, change code in all of the file with Eclipse and create new brs files. I just wish I knew exactly what code to put where.

I wonder why the screensaver crashes- it didn't do that on the Roku i sideloaded.

Changing the poster screen is as easy as calling "SetListStyle("arced-landscape")" on your poster screen object. Without that, it defaults to "arced-portrait".

Without parsing the icy-metadata from the stream (which would be crazy complicated to do on the Roku), title updates would really require your server to provide them, and the channel to regularly poll for them, so maybe that's not really possible.

Is there meant to be a screensaver specific to the channel? Without seeing the code, it's hard to say why it would crash in one mode and not the other. You can telnet to port 8087 to get debug information for the screensaver thread, when it's sideloaded, if that helps.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
PositivePeak
Visitor

Would love to send you the zip if you wanted to take a look at it. I would love to improve it. If we could get the title & artist on screen... & maybe our twitter feed at http://twitter.com/PsychicRadio (we have over 42,000 followers) it would make it so much more user friendly. Judging from the channels you have developed... you might have a great thing or ten to say about how we could improve. I love the shoutcast setup!! (we have shoutcast mp3 & aac streams as well) - want a look? PM me your email address.... I will send it to you.

Thanks again for your help. Maybe we could find a way to repay you with a link or two & credits on our page...
0 Kudos