Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

[Open Source] Lode Runner Remake for Roku

After finishing the port of Prince of Persia I decided to make a simpler platform game, using what I learned with the other project. So, in one week, working a few hours at night and two Saturdays I could finish the basic funcionality of Lode Runner, another classic from the 80's. 

There are four selectable options of sprites, the original Apple II, the Commodore 64, IBM-DOS CGA and Atari 8 bits. I also added three different level sets: the Classic (150 levels), Championship (50 levels) and Professional (150 levels).

The guards AI is not the original, I implemented a simple one, just to validate the animations. Will work next on it, the code and upcoming improments are available at:

https://github.com/lvcabral/Lode-Runner-Roku

As soon as I have the final version of the guards behaviour will create a private channel, for now checkout the preview video:
[youtube:3t9c89j6]jSCojR435eQ[/youtube:3t9c89j6]
0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
Komag
Roku Guru

Re: [Open Source] Lode Runner Remake for Roku

Great work! Have you played Candy Bear? It's a Lode Runner inspired Roku game with a few different mechanics.
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

"Komag" wrote:
Great work! Have you played Candy Bear? It's a Lode Runner inspired Roku game with a few different mechanics.

I didn't know about Candy Bear, just checked, but I'm an 80's guy, I do prefer to chase gold while running from bad robots, than be a bear collecting candies and afraid of ...well... bunnies 😉
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Agreed!
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

YouTube seems broken today, videos take forever to start and then stutter and stop. At first thought it was me but see bitching on reddit.

@marcelo.cabral - oh man! You are doing such exceptional work reviving PoP and LR, is there any chance you can get them "published" for the Roku masses? I don't know what the legal status is, can these be considered abandonware or "licensed" from some dead-souls pool?
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

"EnTerr" wrote:
@marcelo.cabral - oh man! You are doing such exceptional work reviving PoP and LR, is there any chance you can get them "published" for the Roku masses? I don't know what the legal status is, can these be considered abandonware or "licensed" from some dead-souls pool?

Both games are "live", they have current licensed owners, but there are several remakes on the wild and at open source repositories, and these seems to be not a problem for them, unless you start to get money for it. 
I'm not sure what would happen if I publish them as a free channel in Roku, because of the use of licensed material, but I don't want to be involved in any litigation for something I do for fun, in the other hand I would love to have more people enjoying and playing with my work.

I could "re-skin, re-name" and release it but the magic of nostalgia would be gone 🙂
Maybe I would come up with some other idea 🙂 for something nostalgic but original at the same time.
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

I just created a private channel, enjoy: https://my.roku.com/add/LodeRunnerPreview
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Great job, I'm impressed!

- I'm getting some slowdown at times (on a Roku 3), especially after final ladder appears
- Sometimes it seems to hard to attach to a ladder to go up or down, maybe just me though
- Would be nice if menus worked with horizontal remote as soon as that option is chosen
- Also, why not have * cheat to give an extra life, and << and >> permanently skip levels?
- Would be really nice to see Graphics preview instead of testing each version in-game
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

<< Can't delete, so removed the content of duplicate post >>
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

"Komag" wrote:
Great job, I'm impressed!

- I'm getting some slowdown at times (on a Roku 3), especially after final ladder appears
- Sometimes it seems to hard to attach to a ladder to go up or down, maybe just me though
- Would be nice if menus worked with horizontal remote as soon as that option is chosen
- Also, why not have * cheat to give an extra life, and << and >> permanently skip levels?
- Would be really nice to see Graphics preview instead of testing each version in-game

My answers:
- I'm testing in a Roku 3 as well, couldn't notice that, will double check. (are you using the pvt channel or the original code? I published a second release)
-That's true also in the original game 🙂 but Roku remote precision does not help either.
-Will try that.
-I'm planning to reorganize the keys and use << >> to dig in vertical mode, and have A and B as the cheat (just adding life/level no back)
-I'm planning to use DrawLevel() to create thumbnails for the "Select Level" feature I'm implementing (use it also when selecting the level set)
0 Kudos