Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newchannel
Roku Guru

Nonfocus?

I must have overlooked it somewhere but what is meant by non-focus images?
http://www.victoryNOWfilmsandtv.com
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: Nonfocus?

this is probably referring to images in the manifest. The selected image on the home row is the focused image:

mm_icon_focus_hd=mychannelsimageHD.png
mm_icon_focus_sd=mychannelsimageSD.png

when it is not selected, it is the unfocused images:

mm_icon_focus_hd=mychannelSideImageHD.png
mm_icon_focus_sd=mychannelSideImageSD.png

which are generally a bit smaller.

- Joel
0 Kudos
bandal
Visitor

I was wondering the same as the Public Channel Criteria had this mentioned for non-focused images. I commented mine out to save space and is it really needed for the Public Channel?
DA
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"bandal" wrote:
I was wondering the same as the Public Channel Criteria had this mentioned for non-focused images. I commented mine out to save space and is it really needed for the Public Channel?
DA

I don't think you need to comment them out to save space; you can just use the same images for the focused and non-focused icons. They just get displayed in different sizes by the Roku. I also think you can use the same images for both SD and HD icons if you really need to save space, and the Roku will still display them correctly.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Yes. Unless you don't want your channel on older devices, I think the 4.1 firmware and later just uses the mm_icon_focus_hd and sd images and ignores the side image, but if you care about getting your channel onto 3.1 firmware devices, then you will create HD and SD side focus images (SD images, both focus and side, should be NTSC SD aspect ratio when created)

The reason to use different images is that the side and focus images are different dimensions, channel artwork will look squished if you don't take the time to make an image of the correct size for the side image.

- Joel
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

You listed the icon_focus sets twice RokuJoel. 🙂

mm_icon_focus_hd=pkg:/images/icon-focus-hd.jpg
mm_icon_focus_sd=pkg:/images/icon-focus-sd.jpg

mm_icon_side_hd=pkg:/images/icon-side-hd.jpg
mm_icon_side_sd=pkg:/images/icon-side-sd.jpg

The side images are the non-focused smaller images for older devices. For Roku2 and newer they aren't used.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

"destruk" wrote:
You listed the icon_focus sets twice RokuJoel

How embarrassing :oops:
0 Kudos
bandal
Visitor

Ok now it all makes better sense. Better to ask than get held up on a Public Channel submission.

Thanks for all the info.
DA
0 Kudos