Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

No "Replay" on new remotes?

I see people discussing that the button formerly known as "Instant Replay" is gone and replaced by the search button.
Is it true there is no "Replay" button on the remote of "2015 Roku 3"?!

If so, you are slaying me! In a puzzler i am writing for Roku specifically, i rely on having the replay button. I have reviewed list of the players it can work on and their remotes - and they all have "back" and "*" and "replay". Now if one of them is no more, i have to go and figure how to remap buttons.

Does "search" return the same codes? Or a new one? Or is it hard-coded like "Home" and cannot be intercepted?
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Komag
Roku Guru

Re: No "Replay" on new remotes?

This CNET review confirms that in the "All about the remote" section of the review:
http://www.cnet.com/products/roku-3/

I can hardly believe Roku would remove the instant replay feature. If they have, that's too bad. Or maybe it still works as instant replay while in-app, but search when in the main Roku UI?

There are quite a lot of remotes out there without instant replay though (I have one). They just have the * button at the bottom by itself, like this:

It sounds like the safe bet is to not rely on instant replay being there.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

The remote you show was shipping with some of the "light" models (24xx-27xx), i think.
I am targeting only 3xxx and 4xxx models - all of their remotes have Replay.
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Any update on this issue of Roku 3's not having Replay? Is it really true, or does the new "Search" button work as Replay at all?

- Does the new Search button send the same button codes 7 and 107 (button down, button up)? Or if it sends different codes, what are they?
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"Komag" wrote:
Any update on this issue of Roku 3's not having Replay? Is it really true, or does the new "Search" button work as Replay at all?

- Does the new Search button send the same button codes 7 and 107 (button down, button up)? Or if it sends different codes, what are they?

There's no replay button on the Roku 3 or the Roku 4.. not sure about the new Roku 2. Not cool, Roku.. not cool!
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:
.. not sure about the new Roku 2. Not cool, Roku.. not cool!

The new R2 (4210) does have a replay button.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

"TheEndless" wrote:
There's no replay button on the Roku 3 or the Roku 4.. not sure about the new Roku 2. Not cool, Roku.. not cool!

Couldn't agree more. I don't understand how they can drop a feature they once touted.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
beq
Channel Surfer

+ 1

First Roku increased the standard Instant Replay jump duration, now they're taking the button out altogether.

I guess it might have been too much retooling work to manufacture a new remote with an extra button for the Instant Replay? Then again they already had to revise the remote template when they'd first added the 4 channel partner shortcut buttons to (a later revision of) the Roku 3 remote.

Can OS 7 introduce some kind of button mapping? Perhaps toggle between Search and Instant Replay. Or remap one of the channel shortcut (or A/B) buttons. Not sure what's best...

Heck while at it why not offer the option to go back to a shorter replay jump 🙂
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Wow, that is disappointing. Maybe people just didn't use it much.

Does anyone know the codes the search button sends?

I'm talking about bslUniversalControlEventCodes() (http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/ ... ntrolEvent)

port = CreateObject("roMessagePort")
evnt = port.GetMessage()
IF (Type(evnt) = "roUniversalControlEvent") THEN id = evnt.GetInt()
? id
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"Komag" wrote:
Does anyone know the codes the search button sends?

I don't think there is use to knowing the exact index of the voice-search button since it gets intercepted in the firmware before reaching your event loop. And even if they are to pass it down, pressing it terminates the current app. Just like with Home, what use is knowing its index is #1 ...

Have you considered using key combos?
0 Kudos