Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
monettes
Visitor

New feature: Display Incoming call on TV screen

It would be awesome if we could display the callerid information of all incoming telephone calls (from a VoIP provider using SIP protocol) on the top of the TV screen.

It could easily done using some SIP software stack that would display callerid information on the TV screen. It would never answer or make calls.

1- Provide SIP account setup (SIP username, SIP password, SIP proxy,...)

2- Just perform SIP REGISTER and monitor SIP INVITE messages to display callerid information.

All of our current customers are using this callerid feature on their satellite receiver.

Thank you,

Stephan Monette
Unlimitel Inc.
5 REPLIES 5
RokuKevin
Visitor

Re: New feature: Display Incoming call on TV screen

Interesting idea.... I can think of all kinds of uses for a notification api...

--Kevin
0 Kudos
monettes
Visitor

Kevin,

I suggested to use the SIP protocol since it would be very easy for VoIP providers to implement this notification service on the Roku box.

Stephan.
bcl
Channel Surfer

I'd recommend NOT using the SIP protocol. Make it something more widely useful by adding a simple notification UDP port. Send it a UDP packet with message and an expiration time. This then gives you the flexibility to do things like catch callerid (non-voip) with an old modem and send the announcement to the ROKU player(s).
0 Kudos
DED5978

give us instuctions how how to do this step by step I have spectrum service for the roku express plus

0 Kudos
Tom2R
Reel Rookie

Or even Roku could provide the VoIP service as well for customers.  Not sure the market is there to justify the expense to do it, but if simple, would be a differentiator from FireTV.  Many older people still want a separate landline phone.