Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brandon15811
Visitor

Re: New Telnet Functions

"RokuKevin" wrote:
They should still be available for at least a couple more firmware releases... Any new development should be using the External Control API though.

--Kevin

Oy, ill check it out when iget home
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"RokuKevin" wrote:
Please see the new External Control Guide in the new v2.7 SDK for our new way to control your Roku over the network. Please consider the telnet methods as deprecated.

--Kevin

Where is this "new v2.7 SDK" that you speak of? Why must you tease us so?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
brandon15811
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:
"RokuKevin" wrote:
Please see the new External Control Guide in the new v2.7 SDK for our new way to control your Roku over the network. Please consider the telnet methods as deprecated.

--Kevin

Yeah, I can't find it either
0 Kudos
retrotom
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:
"RokuKevin" wrote:

--Kevin

I know, right? I've been constantly refreshing the developer "home page" -- waiting for the link to say "v27".
0 Kudos
scyber
Visitor

"retrotom" wrote:
"TheEndless" wrote:
"RokuKevin" wrote:

--Kevin

I know, right? I've been constantly refreshing the developer "home page" -- waiting for the link to say "v27".

Changing the links on the dev homepage seem to work. Not sure if this is official yet though:

http://c1807832.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspac ... dk_v27.zip
0 Kudos
retrotom
Visitor

I tried that yesterday but it didn't work. They were probably waiting for it to become available on their CDN before making the update.
0 Kudos
retrotom
Visitor

YES! Grid Screen!
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"retrotom" wrote:
YES! Grid Screen!

Nice to have the option, but it's a little too limiting in its current implementation, unless your images are shaped like posters and are categorizable in a way that makes sense for that grid... Phooey... I was really hoping they'd expose a method of using the video buffer for the roImageCanvas. Guess I'll just have to get more creative...
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
retrotom
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:
"retrotom" wrote:
YES! Grid Screen!

Nice to have the option, but it's a little too limiting in its current implementation, unless your images are shaped like posters and are categorizable in a way that makes sense for that grid... Phooey... I was really hoping they'd expose a method of using the video buffer for the roImageCanvas. Guess I'll just have to get more creative...

Yeah, I agree with you after actually looking at the exposed methods. We're rolling our own UI components (still). I'm still trying to track down this roBrSub that's mentioned -- don't know what that could be. Video buffer access huh? Playing with individual pixels would be nice. The Roku doesn't really appear to be built for gaming -- but I wrote a [Super]Chip-8 emulator a while back that I think the Roku could handle. Only issue is drawing to the freaking screen -- unless you made each pixel an individual layer -- which would probably suck.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"retrotom" wrote:
Video buffer access huh?

The grid interface uses the video buffer, which is why is so much more performant. I was hoping the actual interface for drawing directly to the video buffer would be exposed, instead of just the pre-built grid interface. An roVideoCanvas, if you will...

"retrotom" wrote:
I'm still trying to track down this roBrSub that's mentioned

A CreateObject( "roBrSub" ) results in invalid, so I don't think it actually exists...
0 Kudos