Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

New Project: Moon Patrol Remake for Roku

Just started last month my fourth classic game remake project, this time I'm working on Moon Patrol (1982), the video below shows the current stage (v0.3).
As usual I will eventually release the source code at my GitHub page.

[youtube:1zutzxv1]JNLBkOXiTQU[/youtube:1zutzxv1]
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Komag
Roku Guru

Re: New Project: Moon Patrol Remake for Roku

Like 😄
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Have you thought of making an original game?  I don't know - if it's just the personal challenge to see if you can do it, great.  You've done three before so you've done this one too.  But with the roms being able to be downloaded and hundreds of versions that are free to play (authentic or modified) already what other point is there to doing it again with another game?
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

"destruk" wrote:
Have you thought of making an original game?  I don't know - if it's just the personal challenge to see if you can do it, great.  You've done three before so you've done this one too.  But with the roms being able to be downloaded and hundreds of versions that are free to play (authentic or modified) already what other point is there to doing it again with another game?

Good point "destruk", I can say that I have plans to implement an original game, but the reason I'm doing specifically these games is way more personal than it seems, they are very important to me, I would not be a developer, and would not have achieved professionally what I have achieved, if I had not played these games and wondered if I could do something like that myself. Back then, after I started programming, unfortunately I never got really involved in game development. 

Then 35 years after writing my first line of Basic, I decided to recreate Prince of Persia, and this became a really emotional journey for me, what I could not predict was how exciting for me it became to know from inside out those games that were amazingly mysterious and fun for my teen self!

When I'm developing these, I picture myself like those guys that carefully assemble a boat inside a bottle, just putting piece by piece together. 

I was planning to finish by Donkey Kong, but then I remembered about this annoying music and beautiful scrolling parallax effect (Moon Patrol was the first to implement it), I just had to do it 🙂 
0 Kudos

looking nice Marcelo!
Roku 3, Roku LT & Roku 1, Kodi running on Raspberry Pi 2, Plex Server.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

It's still cool.  BTW the world is running out of old CRT monitors, so anyone interested in authentic MAME cabinet displays needs to get theirs soon or they won't be able to get one anymore. 😞  I spent 10 years making pinball simulations and emulations for Visual Pinball/PinMAME, so I know what it's like - been there, just too busy to get back to that hobby and other life circumstances got in the way.
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

I didn't work on this project for a long time, but I decided to release the code anyway, will finish it eventually: https://github.com/lvcabral/Moon-Patrol-Roku
0 Kudos