Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Channel Idea

Hello everyone,

I just recently bought a Roku Box, and decided I would try my hand at developing. I would like to know if there is any channels or plugins out there that make your Roku more like dish network or cable with a guide that you can scroll through and select what shows to watch?

I am wondering because I would like to create a channel somewhat like this. I would like to have a channel that, once opened, would allow you to navigate through a visual guide of channels or categories that once selected would play a video. I would like to be able to allow the user to create channels within this channel that they could categorize and they would continuously play like regular television channels. You could have a channels labeled history and comedy and action and movies etc. that once opened would already be playing. Is this possible, and if so how hard would it be to create?

Thank you
Christian O'Leary
Christianoleary80@gmail.com
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: New Channel Idea

Possible: yes.

Difficulty depends on your programming skills. Creating a full blown program guide like you see on Cable and Satellite TV would probably require significant effort even for an experienced programmer.

- Joel
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

Re: New Channel Idea

I should point out that such a channel would not likely be allowed under the current developer agreement. That said, we do understand that people want beter ways to discover new content and we are always looking at ways of providing that and improving what is available on the players.
0 Kudos