Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
justinc
Visitor

New BrightScript Project problem

Hello, i am new with Eclipse and i need information because apparently i am doing something wrong installing and configuring Eclipse, i am working with these two versions:
eclipse helios 2010 v3.6
eclipse.ini:
-startup
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.1.1.R36x_v20101122_1400.jar
--launcher.library
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_1.1.2.R36x_v20101222
-product
org.eclipse.epp.package.java.product
--launcher.defaultAction
openFile
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
256M
-showsplash
org.eclipse.platform
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
256m
--launcher.defaultAction
openFile
-vmargs
-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5
-Xms40m
-Xmx384m

and
eclipse juno 2012 v4.2.
eclipse.ini:
-startup
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.0.v20120522-1813.jar
--launcher.library
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_1.1.200.v20120522-1813
-product
org.eclipse.epp.package.java.product
--launcher.defaultAction
openFile
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
256M
-showsplash
org.eclipse.platform
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
256m
--launcher.defaultAction
openFile
-vmargs
-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5
-Dhelp.lucene.tokenizer=standard
-Xms40m
-Xmx384m

I am running Java SE Development Kit 7 (jdk-7u75-windows-i586.exe)

I am running Windows 7 Professional 32 Bits.

If this is not the appropriate forum to post this in i am sorry, i am a new so i figure i should start here anyway.

I have attached two pictures below, Templates.jpg is how eclipses should look like but right now my eclipse look like Capture.PNG (screen capture).

The main difference between the two is that in one i have a Template dropdown menu and on the other i do not.

Templates.jpg

Capture.PNG

Do i have to manually set HOME paths or such in windows 7 for this to work? I think installing java does set HOME paths.

Please help, Google was not much of a help, the only related problem i found was from someone running Linux and i could not understand it.
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Rek
Visitor

Re: New BrightScript Project problem

The eclipse plugin was pretty buggy the last time I used it. I recommend just using an editor like sublime text 3 or notepad++. I believe there are brightscript plugins for both of those.

For installation and packaging, you can use the makefile in the SDK: http://wwwimg.roku.com/static/sdk/RokuSDK.zip

There's some more info here: http://blog.roku.com/developer/2013/10/ ... velopment/
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

I'd agree with Rek. I've tried installing Eclipse myself on a couple of occasions and gave up after encountering several issues. I thought it was overkill anyway for Roku channel development.

I eventually settled on Notepad++. Here's a link detailing how I have it configured for BrightScript develpment: http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?p=480448

But if you really want to go with Eclipse, I suggest you contact malloys. He's the Eclipse expert. He's been pretty active in this thread: http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=64368
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

I too have tried and failed with Eclipse on three separate tries. But I got it working just enough for my console, lots of lines, can copy paste, can clear console easily, switch between two Rokus quickly, nice.
0 Kudos
justinc
Visitor

thank you all for your replies i will try notepad++ as i have use it in the past. If i get into more issues i will post back 🙂
0 Kudos
NewManLiving
Visitor

There has always been a problem with the template dropdown, but you can get around this by simply creating a new project with the wizard and then copy the directories of the example that you want to try. Just ok the overwrite of the same directories created by the new project wizard. Takes less than a minute. I am glad that I tackled Eclipse and the plugin even before I wrote my first "hello world" app. I have been using it ever since and for me it is a great IDE not just for everything brightscript ( smart source editor , outliner, debugger, package, sideload, etc... ) but also for editing xml, json, images ( uses file association or other plugins and launches appropriate editors), great debugger, switching between devices, etc. As a 2D programmer it is invaluable for finding something quickly since 2D is so code intensive. Don't give up so easily, I guarantee you will learn to really appreciate it especially as your projects become very large. The plugin is not that buggy, and the usefulness far outweighs any minor bugs it may have. While I use notepad++ for many things myself (even have an eclipse file association to it) It really would be a daunting task if even possible at all to make it as functional as Eclipse with the plugin.
My Channels: 2D API Framework Presentation: https://owner.roku.com/add/2M9LCVC
Updated: 11-11-2015 - Completed Keyboard interface
The Joel Channel ( Final Beta )
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

The templates section is still there... just hidden.
Unintuitively, the templates section gets hidden when the dialog isn't sized tall enough to show everything in it.
There's also a decent-sized blank area at the bottom of the dialog that shouldn't be there, but is, so that exacerbates the problem on some screens.
I suspect both contributing (unreported?) bugs have been in there since the templates were first introduced to the plugin.

Workaround: The dialog is re-sizable, so re-size it vertically until the templates section becomes visible.
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

BTW, if anyone is having problems installing and getting the plugin to run, let me know and I'll help you sort it out.
Most of the time installation and running issues have to do with unsupported elements in the environment ( java or o/s combo unsupported by Eclipse itself, dependency collisions with other eclipse plugins, running on an eclipse version not supported by the plugin, etc).

Also, FWIW, there are quite a few suggested bugfixes and enhancements that have been veto'd by Roku over the last year or two... if there's something in, not in, or not fixed in the plugin that you feel strongly about, speak up in this forum, so that they can use that information to make better decisions on how to improve the plugin.

cheers
0 Kudos
NewManLiving
Visitor

I have tried resizing it in the past without success, but that was a long time ago and I really have not needed templates any longer so that is good to know. Anyway great job Malloys it has been a real time saver for me. Sorry to hear that they are not letting you add enhancements. Would like to see the outliner collapse/open as a unit without having to open/collapse each item, if this is possible already please advise.
My Channels: 2D API Framework Presentation: https://owner.roku.com/add/2M9LCVC
Updated: 11-11-2015 - Completed Keyboard interface
The Joel Channel ( Final Beta )
0 Kudos
justinc
Visitor

"malloys" wrote:
The templates section is still there... just hidden.
Unintuitively, the templates section gets hidden when the dialog isn't sized tall enough to show everything in it.
There's also a decent-sized blank area at the bottom of the dialog that shouldn't be there, but is, so that exacerbates the problem on some screens.
I suspect both contributing (unreported?) bugs have been in there since the templates were first introduced to the plugin.

Workaround: The dialog is re-sizable, so re-size it vertically until the templates section becomes visible.

I am working on my TV LCD screen connected to the pc, what you wrote did the trick for me, i was able to resize the New BrightScript Project window and only at that point i was able to see the Template drop down menu.

Thank you all for your suggestions and support.
Cheers
0 Kudos