Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
creator
Visitor

Need info on streaming local radio that is on the net

I have streamed mp3 files to my roku by just modifying the audio app zip. I have tried to stream internet radio stations by modifying the audio brs file. I noticed that nothing worked that I tried. Only mp3 files will stream to the roku. I want to stream talk radio stations to my roku. I looked at the tunein.com station url addresses but none of these worked. I even tried a m3u stream but it did not work either.

I need to know the secret of how the tune in radio roku app streams to the roku. For example 77wabc streams to the tune in radio app just great. I would like to stream just certain internet radio stations. What kind of file does tune in radio use to stream 77wabc for example? I know this app streams other than mp3 files but I don't know how.

I have modified the NPR brs file and like I said had success with only mp3 files. I have become frustrated because I can't get any streaming radio station to play on the roku with I change the NPR brs file to point to what I thought was the stream url on the net.

Can anyone help me please. I'm not giving up until I can stream what I want to the roku using the audio app zip example.

Help!
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Need info on streaming local radio that is on the net

For live audio streaming, only mp3 is supported. If your URL is a playlist (m3u or pls), you'll need to parse it yourself to get the actual audio stream URLs.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
Kapture
Visitor

Actually if the stream is .m3u then it should play just fine since
that is just an older version of mp3. However if your stream is
.pls then just open the .pls in a text editor and copy the link inside.
Most likely that link will be in mp3 or m3u format.

Cheers,
Kapture
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Hate multiplies
hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction. - MLK Jr.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"Kapture" wrote:
Actually if the stream is .m3u then it should play just fine since
that is just an older version of mp3. However if your stream is
.pls then just open the .pls in a text editor and copy the link inside.
Most likely that link will be in mp3 or m3u format.

Cheers,
Kapture

Uh.. no. m3u is a playlist file. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3U
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
buenafe
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:
For live audio streaming, only mp3 is supported. If your URL is a playlist (m3u or pls), you'll need to parse it yourself to get the actual audio stream URLs.

Are the streaming radio stations available in Roku implemented this way? Since Roku does not support m3u playlist, is the Brightscript code parsing this playlist and then playing the mp3 files sequentially?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
current: two roku XDS 2xs, dtvpal, boxeebox, kylo.tv,
radar: wdlxtv.com
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Streaming MP3 radio stations just have one continuous MP3 stream. There is no playlist. The stream can contain information as to what song is playing, but the Roku can't decode it, or if it can, it isn't part of the SDK. Pandora may do it differently, but the streaming stations with which I'm familiar have one continuous stream.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
onevoisses
Visitor

may be a little late but for information purpose
for streams that ends with .m3u,eg. listen.m3u you could just leave off the extension and you will have an MP3 streams
Refer to http://www.icecast.org/docs/icecast-2.1 ... setup.html

" A listener can only listen to a single mountpoint at a time." so you could use http://[IP address]:[port]/listen
without the .m3u

keen note make sure your mount point is not an open source such as /mystream.ogg
but /mystream.m3u

m3u is a playlist

"Do not encourage your child that they can be anything they want to,but help them to understand that life is about choices and they should chose the best one?"
Channel: Goaheadmission
O/S : Linux
Home media: MYTHROKUPLAYER With Homerun
0 Kudos
creator
Visitor

Is .ogg an open source?

keen note make sure your mount point is not an open source such as /mystream.ogg

My conservative channel works just fine. The buffering times vary a little but all the stations work. It takes a real effort to locate the stream url but it can be done in some cases.

I feel like I have deconstructed some of the sdk to make it work. Trial and error. I see how some of it works but most of the code is a real mystery to me.

Where can one get all the facts needed to understand the roku application in a simple to understand manner? Is there a place?
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Basically, this forum is the place.

We will be working to make the documentation and examples much easier for new people to understand, in the near future.

Have happy Holidays!

- Joel
0 Kudos