Roku Developer Program

Developers and content creators—a complete solution for growing an audience directly.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"el.wubo" wrote:
onecaribou:

When you post that doc I'll put a copy in the main distribution as well.

If you want to try out the (somewhat broken) large collection navigation support you can grab it here: http://github.com/netguy204/roku_media_ ... /partition -- as mentioned before, the paint is still wet. Only folders that start with a letter in the english alphabet will be visible.


I just tried this distribution and get the following in the debug springboard window

C:\Users\Dan\Desktop\rokudev\media servier\new\netguy204-roku_media_server-f5864
fa>rem Contributed by umbighouse

C:\Users\Dan\Desktop\rokudev\media servier\new\netguy204-roku_media_server-f5864
fa>rem copyright 2010

C:\Users\Dan\Desktop\rokudev\media servier\new\netguy204-roku_media_server-f5864
fa>cd server

C:\Users\Dan\Desktop\rokudev\media servier\new\netguy204-roku_media_server-f5864
fa\server>c:\python26\python.exe springboard.py
writing configuration
added ..\client\Makefile to zip as Makefile
added ..\client\manifest to zip as manifest
added ..\client\README to zip as README
added ..\client\images\folder.jpg to zip as images\folder.jpg
added ..\client\images\Logo_Overhang_HD.png to zip as images\Logo_Overhang_HD.pn
g
added ..\client\images\Logo_Overhang_SD43.png to zip as images\Logo_Overhang_SD4
3.png
added ..\client\images\music.jpg to zip as images\music.jpg
added ..\client\images\Overhang_BackgroundSlice_HD.png to zip as images\Overhang
_BackgroundSlice_HD.png
added ..\client\images\Overhang_BackgroundSlice_MLB_HD.png to zip as images\Over
hang_BackgroundSlice_MLB_HD.png
added ..\client\images\Overhang_BackgroundSlice_MLB_SD43.png to zip as images\Ov
erhang_BackgroundSlice_MLB_SD43.png
added ..\client\images\Overhang_BackgroundSlice_SD43.png to zip as images\Overha
ng_BackgroundSlice_SD43.png
rewriting ..\client\source\appMain.brs
added ..\client\source\appMain.brs to zip as source\appMain.brs
rewriting ..\client\source\datamodel.brs
added ..\client\source\datamodel.brs to zip as source\datamodel.brs
uploading ..\zips\client.zip to http://192.168.1.35:80/plugin_install
multipart/form-data; boundary=----------ThIs_Is_tHe_bouNdaRY_$
writing configuration
File "rss_server.py", line 60
print "library failed to parse ID3 tags for %s. Skipping." % fname
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"dellsweig" wrote:
"el.wubo" wrote:
onecaribou:

When you post that doc I'll put a copy in the main distribution as well.

If you want to try out the (somewhat broken) large collection navigation support you can grab it here: http://github.com/netguy204/roku_media_ ... /partition -- as mentioned before, the paint is still wet. Only folders that start with a letter in the english alphabet will be visible.


I just tried this distribution and get the following in the debug springboard window

C:\Users\Dan\Desktop\rokudev\media servier\new\netguy204-roku_media_server-f5864
fa>rem Contributed by umbighouse

C:\Users\Dan\Desktop\rokudev\media servier\new\netguy204-roku_media_server-f5864
fa>rem copyright 2010

C:\Users\Dan\Desktop\rokudev\media servier\new\netguy204-roku_media_server-f5864
fa>cd server

C:\Users\Dan\Desktop\rokudev\media servier\new\netguy204-roku_media_server-f5864
fa\server>c:\python26\python.exe springboard.py
writing configuration
added ..\client\Makefile to zip as Makefile
added ..\client\manifest to zip as manifest
added ..\client\README to zip as README
added ..\client\images\folder.jpg to zip as images\folder.jpg
added ..\client\images\Logo_Overhang_HD.png to zip as images\Logo_Overhang_HD.pn
g
added ..\client\images\Logo_Overhang_SD43.png to zip as images\Logo_Overhang_SD4
3.png
added ..\client\images\music.jpg to zip as images\music.jpg
added ..\client\images\Overhang_BackgroundSlice_HD.png to zip as images\Overhang
_BackgroundSlice_HD.png
added ..\client\images\Overhang_BackgroundSlice_MLB_HD.png to zip as images\Over
hang_BackgroundSlice_MLB_HD.png
added ..\client\images\Overhang_BackgroundSlice_MLB_SD43.png to zip as images\Ov
erhang_BackgroundSlice_MLB_SD43.png
added ..\client\images\Overhang_BackgroundSlice_SD43.png to zip as images\Overha
ng_BackgroundSlice_SD43.png
rewriting ..\client\source\appMain.brs
added ..\client\source\appMain.brs to zip as source\appMain.brs
rewriting ..\client\source\datamodel.brs
added ..\client\source\datamodel.brs to zip as source\datamodel.brs
uploading ..\zips\client.zip to http://192.168.1.35:80/plugin_install
multipart/form-data; boundary=----------ThIs_Is_tHe_bouNdaRY_$
writing configuration
File "rss_server.py", line 60
print "library failed to parse ID3 tags for %s. Skipping." % fname
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax


OK - I failed to remove the origional app from my roku via the dev page - cleaned that up, re-launched the springboard (latest dev build with large collection support)

Installed client (see trace)
Lauchned server
Started app on Roku

Here is the debug trace

C:\Users\Dan\Desktop\rokudev\media servier\new\netguy204-roku_media_server-f5864
fa\server>c:\python26\python.exe springboard.py
writing configuration
added ..\client\Makefile to zip as Makefile
added ..\client\manifest to zip as manifest
added ..\client\README to zip as README
added ..\client\images\folder.jpg to zip as images\folder.jpg
added ..\client\images\Logo_Overhang_HD.png to zip as images\Logo_Overhang_HD.pn
g
added ..\client\images\Logo_Overhang_SD43.png to zip as images\Logo_Overhang_SD4
3.png
added ..\client\images\music.jpg to zip as images\music.jpg
added ..\client\images\Overhang_BackgroundSlice_HD.png to zip as images\Overhang
_BackgroundSlice_HD.png
added ..\client\images\Overhang_BackgroundSlice_MLB_HD.png to zip as images\Over
hang_BackgroundSlice_MLB_HD.png
added ..\client\images\Overhang_BackgroundSlice_MLB_SD43.png to zip as images\Ov
erhang_BackgroundSlice_MLB_SD43.png
added ..\client\images\Overhang_BackgroundSlice_SD43.png to zip as images\Overha
ng_BackgroundSlice_SD43.png
rewriting ..\client\source\appMain.brs
added ..\client\source\appMain.brs to zip as source\appMain.brs
rewriting ..\client\source\datamodel.brs
added ..\client\source\datamodel.brs to zip as source\datamodel.brs
uploading ..\zips\client.zip to http://192.168.1.35:80/plugin_install
multipart/form-data; boundary=----------ThIs_Is_tHe_bouNdaRY_$
writing configuration
http://0.0.0.0:8001/
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\Dan\Desktop\rokudev\media servier\new\netguy204-roku_media_serv
er-f5864fa\server\web\application.py", line 242, in process
return self.handle()
File "C:\Users\Dan\Desktop\rokudev\media servier\new\netguy204-roku_media_serv
er-f5864fa\server\web\application.py", line 233, in handle
return self._delegate(fn, self.fvars, args)
File "C:\Users\Dan\Desktop\rokudev\media servier\new\netguy204-roku_media_serv
er-f5864fa\server\web\application.py", line 412, in _delegate
return handle_class(cls)
File "C:\Users\Dan\Desktop\rokudev\media servier\new\netguy204-roku_media_serv
er-f5864fa\server\web\application.py", line 387, in handle_class
return tocall(*args)
File "C:\Users\Dan\Desktop\rokudev\media servier\new\netguy204-roku_media_serv
er-f5864fa\server\rss_server.py", line 382, in GET
return getdoc(config.get("config", 'music_dir'), tuple(feed.range), config).
to_xml()
File "C:\Users\Dan\Desktop\rokudev\media servier\new\netguy204-roku_media_serv
er-f5864fa\server\rss_server.py", line 268, in getdoc
subdirs.append(dir2item(subdir, config, getart(subdir)))
File "C:\Users\Dan\Desktop\rokudev\media servier\new\netguy204-roku_media_serv
er-f5864fa\server\rss_server.py", line 133, in getart
for base, dirs, files in os.walk(path.encode('utf-8')):
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe9 in position 25: ordinal
not in range(128)

192.168.1.35:46281 - - [13/Feb/2010 11:06:18] "HTTP/1.1 GET /feed" - 500 Interna
l Server Error
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

dellsweig:

You backtrace that ended with "SyntaxError: invalid syntax" was caused by the version of python you downloaded. I've been coding to the python2.6 syntax. There are some subtle differences in python3.x. It most cases I can write code that supports both (and I'll target that in the future) but for maximum compatibility I recommend you run what I run and test on (python 2.6.*)

The backtraces ending in "UnicodeDecodeError: ..." are surprising. I don't think python3 is the issue in this case (but it could be some behavior difference with respect to unicode.) This was the error we were getting before I started converting all paths to utf-8 so we could support special characters. You are running the version with those updates so I don't expect to see this. Can you uninstall python3 and try python2.6 to see if the problem goes away?

Is anyone else experiencing this on the latest release? I've tested it under windows and linux with files that have special characters and didn't have any trouble but your circumstances could be different.

EDIT: I was just able to reproduce your problem under Python2.6. Stand by

EDIT: The problem is with folders whose names contain special characters. I'm still not handling that properly. Your specific case is unicode \xe9 (e with accent mark) so if you find and change that character in whatever folder(s) have it then the version you have should work for you as is. I'm trying to solve the problem more correctly now but it could take a while.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

success

Installed without a hitch and working flawlessly. Thanks el.wubo.

cheers,

Sam
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"el.wubo" wrote:
nrao1:

My first guess is that springboard can't find the files for the client and server in the usual places. Did you extract the entire zip first and then run springboard? It assumes that all the client code will be in a folder called client and that folder at the same level as another folder called server. The server folder must contain all of the python code.

Try extracting the zip again -- make sure you extract everything in it and keep it in the same directory layout it is in the zip -- and then run springboard again.


Thanks! User error on my part. I don't how I did it, but I moved the client folder during extraction. Got it working and it's great!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Okay, thinking big here. IMO, one of the next goals should be to set this up as a "private channel." The advantages would be that the installation would not require developer mode (lots more testers), and client updates would automatically be pushed to the Roku.

As I understand it, the only real hurdle to setting up private channel is that the client install would have to be identical for each user. Am I correct that right now, the only difference between the client software on my Roku and the client software on every one else's Roku is the IP address pointing to my server?

So eventually what is needed to make this channel more widely accessible is one is some way to install the client software without the IP address pre-programmed in. A couple of example (I'm sure there are more solutions):

(1) The client searches the local network for the server; or
(2) The client has an after-install set-up screen that allows the user to punch in the correct IP address of the server;
(3) The client always points to (for example) xxx.xxx.xxx.013 and the PC running the server is always assigned a static IP of xxx.xxx.xxx.013 (not ideal but livable).

Thoughts? How doable would this be?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Now, finally, for real this time:

Non-ascii english character support including accents, ligatures, and anything else that unicode has to offer.

dellsweig, this should solve your Unicode problem. The problem I mentioned as being python3 syntax related will remain until you switch to python2.6.

Many others have reported issues with accent marks in their song names. This should solve your problems too. Let me know if you have any more problems.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"el.wubo" wrote:
dellsweig:

You backtrace that ended with "SyntaxError: invalid syntax" was caused by the version of python you downloaded. I've been coding to the python2.6 syntax. There are some subtle differences in python3.x. It most cases I can write code that supports both (and I'll target that in the future) but for maximum compatibility I recommend you run what I run and test on (python 2.6.*)

The backtraces ending in "UnicodeDecodeError: ..." are surprising. I don't think python3 is the issue in this case (but it could be some behavior difference with respect to unicode.) This was the error we were getting before I started converting all paths to utf-8 so we could support special characters. You are running the version with those updates so I don't expect to see this. Can you uninstall python3 and try python2.6 to see if the problem goes away?

Is anyone else experiencing this on the latest release? I've tested it under windows and linux with files that have special characters and didn't have any trouble but your circumstances could be different.

EDIT: I was just able to reproduce your problem under Python2.6. Stand by

EDIT: The problem is with folders whose names contain special characters. I'm still not handling that properly. Your specific case is unicode \xe9 (e with accent mark) so if you find and change that character in whatever folder(s) have it then the version you have should work for you as is. I'm trying to solve the problem more correctly now but it could take a while.


I appreciate your help!!!

I have over 40K items in my media drive - locating and changing names is not going to be an option.

Yes - I fell back to 2.6 python and cleaned out all the old installes to get things to this point.

Any other suggestions - other than waiting for the next build - to handle the special characters in my media files?? I looked in the first level directories and all the folders are named ok - it must be buried down inan mp3 name somewhere
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"el.wubo" wrote:
Now, finally, for real this time:

Non-ascii english character support including accents, ligatures, and anything else that unicode has to offer.

dellsweig, this should solve your Unicode problem. The problem I mentioned as being python3 syntax related will remain until you switch to python2.6.

Many others have reported issues with accent marks in their song names. This should solve your problems too. Let me know if you have any more problems.


Can you give a link to this build??
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

The latest build is up (see my previous post) and should solve your problem. Please download and give it a try when you get a chance.

Support for unicode is also in the partition branch if you'd prefer to use that to help handle your big collection. Word of warning though: You won't be able to see folders that don't start with an ascii letter between a and z... that's why it's in a separate branch. The partitioning algorithm needs some more thought and work before it's ready for the main branch.

EDIT:

Main Release
http://github.com/netguy204/roku_media_ ... ves/master

Partition support beta
http://github.com/netguy204/roku_media_ ... /partition

Those two links always point at the latest and greatest versions.
0 Kudos