Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crowe-t
Channel Surfer

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"renojim" wrote:
It's safe.  It's just trying to tell you that you shouldn't run the server code on a computer connected directly to the Internet.  No one in their right mind would expose their computer that way and if you're using a Roku you must already have a router that acts as a firewall.  Your Roku and your computer should both show that they are using an IP address of the form 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x.  It they are (and they almost certainly are) then they are behind a firewall and there's no security issue.

-JT

Then I'm good.  My IP address is what you described.
Have you figured out what channel to install?
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Try this one: https://my.roku.com/add/mymediabeta

It's been a while, so I don't remember the details, but when you launch the channel it tries to do some sort of rendezvous to locate the server. I never really liked how it worked and I'm not sure the rendezvous server is still operating. I don't see it mentioned in the help text.

Seems like a lot of work just to try something that you may not care for, doesn't it? 🙂

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
bblackmoor
Channel Surfer

The rendezvous thing is still annoying, but it still works. I had to do that several while getting Ubuntu 18 working.
0 Kudos
dgrace
Roku Guru

I have to say, yes, maybe a little bit to set up, but I still use it, almost daily, and have not run into anything that I'd rather use. No frills, but solid.

Now that the Roku Media Player can handle flac files, any chance My Media can be updated for them as well? Just tested and it shows no playable files, but RMP handles then from USB drive.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
bblackmoor
Channel Surfer

As of two weeks ago, I have new problem. Videos do not show as "Watched" anymore. When they get to the end and stop, they just say "Progress".  Like "Progress 43:34:21".

Any idea why?
0 Kudos
renojim

What version of firmware (with build number) does your device have? The client looks for the "isFullResult" message from the firmware to indicate the video completed. I wouldn't think Roku would be mucking with the video player anymore since that component has been deprecated, but who knows? Does the progress otherwise make sense?

-JT

0 Kudos
bblackmoor
Channel Surfer

Software version 9.0.0 build 4114-29, on both of our Rokus (the same issue has appeared on both).

Could it be caused by an update in Ubuntu?
0 Kudos
renojim

I just updated to build 4142 and guess what? - progress doesn't work properly anymore.  Thanks Roku. grr  My Roku still on build 4084 works just fine.  As I suspected, they're no longer firing the "isFullResult" message so the last playback position received (which should be within 10 seconds of the end of the video) is getting saved as the progress.

Roku announced they wouldn't be adding new features to deprecated components, but I suppose that doesn't preclude them from breaking them.  I'm not even going to bother reporting this since I know I'll get no response.  IF I can still update the channel (which I'm not sure whether or not private channels with deprecated components can still be updated), I'll try to fix it.  I may not get to it for a while since right now I have to take care of the giant shafting I just got from Roku.

Someday I'll recreate this using the new Scene Graph crap, but that's going to be a while off (see above note about giant shafting).  You could edit the resume.xml file to get the "Watched" to appear, but I don't recommend that.

-JT

0 Kudos
bblackmoor
Channel Surfer

Roku says that class is deprecated. https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc ... creenEvent

It looks like it has been replaced with roVideoPlayerEvent. https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc ... layerEvent
0 Kudos
renojim

Yep, but that doesn't mean they should break it. The whole video player and its events has been deprecated, but that only means you shouldn't use it going forward. It's NOT ok to change its behavior!

-JT

0 Kudos