Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iowaboy5547
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

i can't establish a connection to the server at 127.0.0.1:8001. windows 7 64 bit
0 Kudos
castalla
Visitor

That 127.0.0.1 address is the internal address of the PC you have the server on - you need to specify the network address of the server PC. Go to C:/ prompt and type ipconfig/all - you'll find the PC ip address there.
0 Kudos
iowaboy5547
Visitor

then what is
the path to enter the address to the server
0 Kudos
castalla
Visitor

If you have the server running, then go to the settings page by typing http://localhost:8001/configure in your browser

You can check the server address there. This is the address you need to use when you start the MyMedia channel.
0 Kudos
iowaboy5547
Visitor

error message This page can't be displayed

•Make sure the web address http://localhost:8001 is correct.
netguy.204-roku_media_service-9326246 launch server/my server/springboard all open & close command prompt then nothing thank you kind sir happy holidays peace
0 Kudos
dgrace
Roku Guru

Just bought a second Roku and was thinking about how to go about running a second instance of mymedia to another IP (not at the same time, but to one area or the other of the house). Any idea other than modifying the server ini each time?
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I'm a little confused as to what you're trying to do. You can have any number of boxes connect to the same server at the same time. There's no need to run separate instances for each box. If you're trying to make one set of files/folders available to one box and a different set available to the other, that would require running multiple instances. If that's the case, it's not too hard to do.

Iowaboy, I missed your posts over the holidays. Still having trouble?

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
dgrace
Roku Guru

"renojim" wrote:
I'm a little confused as to what you're trying to do. You can have any number of boxes connect to the same server at the same time. -JT

In the set up for mymedia the roku IP needs to be typed in. I'd like to be able to have the old roku placed in another room but also stream music to that on occassion. How to show the roku ip of the second player is the question.
The FAQ says this about achieving what I'm after:
How do I use multiple Roku's with a single server?

For your first Roku, go through the standard registration process. When you're ready to add MyMedia to your other devices, add the private channel and start it. Instead of following the link your channel suggests, visit http://127.0.0.1:8001/register and enter your new code. Your new Roku will then be able to communicate with your server.
An alternate approach is to go into Settings in the channel and manually enter the IP address of your server.

More details would be helpful. The "alternate" approach is the step I'd use if needed, but the first approach implies that it can be done otherwise.

OK, being one to have little patience with stuff I just figured I'd try a few things. Oddly, had to do NOTHING and it works on both players. It's a miracle! Build a church on this spot! Thanks again for this app/channel.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I didn't even know there was a FAQ. :oops: Smiley LOL I tend to forget about the whole rendezvous thing since I don't use that method to get my boxes to connect to my server.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Bandicoot
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
Gunslinger2,

I wonder if your problem is the same as my ASCII vs UTF-8 problem. If you browse to the Dockstar's IP address, port 8001, from your PC and click on "My Media" and then "My Music", does it just spew a long error message?

-JT

I have a relatively simple fix for that and submitted it to the maintainer of the code on github. The problem that I was encountering was that the mymedia server (on my ubuntu box) was crashing on Russian, Japanese, and Spanish names - anything with a UTF-8 encoded file name.
0 Kudos