Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kc8pql
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"xwin" wrote:

The chip in Roku does decode various codecs, too bad they would not fix MKV format.

Apparently the have, to a point at least. From the R2XS specs:
USB Media Formats

Video: MP4 (H.264) MKV (H.264)
Audio: AAC, MP3
Image: JPG, PNG
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
xwin
Visitor

Yes they support MKV from USB stick. It does not crash the box when played from USB. From the network it is crashes the box though.
0 Kudos
dgrace
Roku Guru

Any idea why a particular album of MP3 files just won't stream? I've tried to determine what about these files that mymedia or roku didn't like. I use several programs for handling MP3s. Mp3Diag can check each file and help repair, clean up tags, etc. It showed no problems with these files. I also use Foobar, and it showed no problems, and would play the files. I also use Audacity for modifying, trimming tracks. It too would play the tracks without error. I have a huge number of MP3 files, in the neighborhood of 8000. Does anyone know of another way of testing and repairing mp3s for whatever little quirk that would make them not stream via mymedia and cause a reboot?
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I've never seen that problem. Do they have any sort of DRM? Can you send me a problem file so I can take at look at what's going on on the Roku (maybe it's throwing some kind of error message)? I guess you could always convert it to a WAV file and then back to MP3 with Audacity.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
xwin
Visitor

The Roku seems to have a tendency to lock up when there is something in the format it does not like. It could be also a problem with MyMedia. Try using RocksBox and see if it works. If it does there is a problem with MyMedia. If it does not, the files are the problem. You can try setting up on the fly transcoding with VLC and using the live streams to play your files. I do this for the audio formats that Roku does not support.
0 Kudos
dgrace
Roku Guru

"renojim" wrote:
I've never seen that problem. Do they have any sort of DRM? Can you send me a problem file so I can take at look at what's going on on the Roku (maybe it's throwing some kind of error message)? I guess you could always convert it to a WAV file and then back to MP3 with Audacity.

-JT

I would have thought that any DRM would have shown itself in MP3Diag, but it checked them out as fine. I did exactly as you suggested with WAV then to MP3 and they stream fine now. I deleted the offending files so can't do any more checking on them. First time I've run into problem MP3 files that one of my apps couldn't fix or at least point me in the right direction. Some times I'll get files with APE or Lyrics or multiple Tag versions which I completely clean out and all my files are corrected and filenames/tags are to a standard. All (well, most) are 320kbps. Some have been ripped from disc, others acquired as MP3s, but all get the same scrubbing and standards applied to them (album art at 300x300, minimal tags (no date, producer, remarks etc).
So for now all's well unless I run into more odd files.
Thanks

I took these entries from the mymedia log, just those from the last time I tried playing those files that would not stream. Not at all certain that this will provide you a clue.
Next time, if ever, I have files like those that didn't like to stream I'll try and get one or two to you.
Thanks again.

DEBUG:root:serving request for J:\Music\Blindside Blues Band\Blindsided\01 - Play The Blues.mp3.image
DEBUG:root:retrieving image data from mp3 J:\Music\Blindside Blues Band\Blindsided\01 - Play The Blues.mp3
DEBUG:root:Scaling the image to (300, 300)
DEBUG:root:serving arbitrary data
DEBUG:root:http://192.168.1.35:8001/media?name=Blindside+Blues+Band%5CBlindsided%5C01+-+Play+The+Blues.mp3&key=music
DEBUG:root:http://192.168.1.35:8001/media?name=Blindside+Blues+Band%5CBlindsided%5C02+-+Borderline+Blues.mp3&key=music
DEBUG:root:http://192.168.1.35:8001/media?name=Blindside+Blues+Band%5CBlindsided%5C03+-+Talkin%27+Bout+My+Baby.mp3&key=music
DEBUG:root:http://192.168.1.35:8001/media?name=Blindside+Blues+Band%5CBlindsided%5C04+-+Truth+Never+Lies.mp3&key=music
DEBUG:root:http://192.168.1.35:8001/media?name=Blindside+Blues+Band%5CBlindsided%5C05+-+Climb+The+Sky.mp3&key=music
DEBUG:root:http://192.168.1.35:8001/media?name=Blindside+Blues+Band%5CBlindsided%5C06+-+Higher+Ground.mp3&key=music
DEBUG:root:http://192.168.1.35:8001/media?name=Blindside+Blues+Band%5CBlindsided%5C07+-+Long+Hard+Road.mp3&key=music
DEBUG:root:http://192.168.1.35:8001/media?name=Blindside+Blues+Band%5CBlindsided%5C08+-+Whole+Lotta+Nothin%27.mp3&key=music
DEBUG:root:http://192.168.1.35:8001/media?name=Blindside+Blues+Band%5CBlindsided%5C09+-+Guilty.mp3&key=music
DEBUG:root:http://192.168.1.35:8001/media?name=Blindside+Blues+Band%5CBlindsided%5C10+-+Catchin%27+Z%27s.mp3&key=music
DEBUG:root:serving request for J:\Music\Blindside Blues Band\Blindsided\09 - Guilty.mp3.image
DEBUG:root:retrieving image data from mp3 J:\Music\Blindside Blues Band\Blindsided\09 - Guilty.mp3
DEBUG:root:serving request for J:\Music\Blindside Blues Band\Blindsided\10 - Catchin' Z's.mp3.image
DEBUG:root:retrieving image data from mp3 J:\Music\Blindside Blues Band\Blindsided\10 - Catchin' Z's.mp3
DEBUG:root:serving request for J:\Music\Blindside Blues Band\Blindsided\08 - Whole Lotta Nothin'.mp3.image
DEBUG:root:retrieving image data from mp3 J:\Music\Blindside Blues Band\Blindsided\08 - Whole Lotta Nothin'.mp3
DEBUG:root:serving request for J:\Music\Blindside Blues Band\Blindsided\07 - Long Hard Road.mp3.image
DEBUG:root:retrieving image data from mp3 J:\Music\Blindside Blues Band\Blindsided\07 - Long Hard Road.mp3
DEBUG:root:serving request for J:\Music\Blindside Blues Band\Blindsided\04 - Truth Never Lies.mp3.image
DEBUG:root:retrieving image data from mp3 J:\Music\Blindside Blues Band\Blindsided\04 - Truth Never Lies.mp3
DEBUG:root:serving request for J:\Music\Blindside Blues Band\Blindsided\03 - Talkin' Bout My Baby.mp3.image
DEBUG:root:retrieving image data from mp3 J:\Music\Blindside Blues Band\Blindsided\03 - Talkin' Bout My Baby.mp3
DEBUG:root:serving request for J:\Music\Blindside Blues Band\Blindsided\02 - Borderline Blues.mp3.image
DEBUG:root:retrieving image data from mp3 J:\Music\Blindside Blues Band\Blindsided\02 - Borderline Blues.mp3
DEBUG:root:serving request for J:\Music\Blindside Blues Band\Blindsided\05 - Climb The Sky.mp3.image
DEBUG:root:retrieving image data from mp3 J:\Music\Blindside Blues Band\Blindsided\05 - Climb The Sky.mp3
DEBUG:root:serving request for J:\Music\Blindside Blues Band\Blindsided\06 - Higher Ground.mp3.image
DEBUG:root:retrieving image data from mp3 J:\Music\Blindside Blues Band\Blindsided\06 - Higher Ground.mp3
DEBUG:root:serving request for J:\Music\Blindside Blues Band\Blindsided\01 - Play The Blues.mp3
DEBUG:root:guessing mimetype of audio/mpeg for J:\Music\Blindside Blues Band\Blindsided\01 - Play The Blues.mp3. filesize is 12412020
DEBUG:root:serving J:\Music\Blindside Blues Band\Blindsided\01 - Play The Blues.mp3
DEBUG:root:serving request for ..\client\images/Overhang_BackgroundSlice_HD.png
DEBUG:root:guessing mimetype of image/png for ..\client\images/Overhang_BackgroundSlice_HD.png. filesize is 252
FZ
0 Kudos

I apologize if this has already been asked, but is there a limit to the number of MP3 files MyMedia will load? Or is it dependent on the hardware on which MyMedia is running?

Thanks,
Brian
0 Kudos
renojim

There's no limit as far as I know. I have well over 2,000 and at least one person has over 8,000. I'm guessing you'd run into problems if they were all in one folder/directory, so hopefully you have some sort of organizational system.

-JT

0 Kudos
dgrace
Roku Guru

"renojim" wrote:
There's no limit as far as I know. I have well over 2,000 and at least one person has over 8,000. I'm guessing you'd run into problems if they were all in one folder/directory, so hopefully you have some sort of organizational system.

-JT

Since I have so many files it does seem to take a fractional amount of time more to "shuffle all" in some folders, but not significant. One feature that would be nice is to be able to select artist by first letter in the menu. Right now I have files organized by artist name, then album. Just the menu choice of A-B requires a bit of scrolling to reach Bob James, for instance.
Just saying...
FZ
0 Kudos
renojim

Stay tuned...

-JT

0 Kudos