Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
el_wubo
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"renojim" wrote:
el.wubo,

The new way of determining unauthorized access doesn't work under Windows. The statement:
if os.path.normpath(song.name) != song.name
has a forward vs. backward slash problem.

And, as I said above, it looks like PIL is now required. Not really a problem, but something that should be noted.

-JT

Jim,

For now I've reverted the troublesome changes. The latest and greatest code that the walkthrough link takes you should be good for non-pil users again.
0 Kudos
HimSigung
Visitor

This is a simple thing, but it's been bothering me. When I add a non-m4v file (wmv, mp4, etc) there is a... Ghost? File that pops up on the Roku folder, where the non-m4v file is located. The "Ghost" file is titled as such: "._name of video" (minus the quotes). Does anyone know why it does that and how to remove them? Just to clarify, most of my videos are in .m4v format, but there are a few that I can't get a good quality copy made so I went with other formats.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

What OS is your server running on? I'd suspect that it is creating those files.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
cdvijay
Visitor

hello Renojim,

sorry was away.

Tried it. did everything except step 5 as you suggested (also did step 5).

Now I get the "Import error: Module PIL not found" I checked and the pil-1.1.....gz is installed.

deleted and reinstalled everything.

maybe, I should just bite the bullet and update my PS3 to Netflix app! I have been holding out (not wanting to lose out on the Linux partition)...and hence the trouble of loading all this stuff on roku.

thanks,
Vj
0 Kudos
renojim

Vj, There's been an update to the server, so try downloading everything again from here. The latest update doesn't require PIL, but it's highly recommended.

-JT

0 Kudos
kabloink
Visitor

Thank you for this!!

This is the first home streaming channel I have been able to get working using my Linux desktop as a host.
0 Kudos
dgrace
Roku Guru

"writerguy" wrote:
"renojim" wrote:
"writerguy" wrote:
Ah, OK, here's one of the things I've been struggling specifically how to use -- these playlists created within the channel.

They were intended to just be a quick (or not so quick) way to create a list of songs you want to listen to right now. The list is gone once you exit the channel. Having a way to create a list and then store it on the server might not be a bad idea for a future feature, but there's probably easier ways to create playlists using Winamp or (cough) Windows Media Player.

-JT

I see. I think I see? What I really don't see is any usefulness personally in temporary, "right now" playlists. But that's probably because I listen to music one album at a time, which I seem to be able to do via the MyMedia channel without putting titles into a playlist.

As for creating playlists using (cough, cough) Windows Media Player -- how would I make those available via the Roku MyMedia channel? Is there a setting where I can give the path to individual playlists that Windows Media Player and/or iTunes has created on my hard drive? I don't recall seeing such a setting.

Thanks so much for your help with all this.

Gary

Here's what I've been using and it works well. I just created another folder in my music (artist) folder and called it "Playlists". I have made several (jazz, rock, easy listening, blues etc.) by drag and dropping from the music folder to the apps window, where it stores the entire file path. Slick. You can also right click and shuffle once in a while to freshen things up. http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia ... ator.shtml
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
renojim

Thanks for that! I knew there had to be an easy, free way to create playlists.

-JT

0 Kudos
jgb2185
Visitor

No connection to server: "Failed to autoconfigure"

Greetings...

I am unable to complete a connection between my Roku and my server. The error from the Roku is:

"Failed to autoconfigure server. You're on your own. Contact with server has not been established. Check your settings and that the server is running."

The server is running on Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx, at local IP 192.168.1.22, python version 2.6.5.

Contents of config.ini after running mymedia.py and attempting a connection from the Roku:

[config]
music_dir = /home/jgb/Music
video_dir = /home/jgb/Videos
collapse_collections = False
auto_server = false
server_port = 8001
roku_ip = ROKU IP ADDRESS
max_folders_before_split = 10
theme = default
python_path = /usr/bin/python
server_ip = 192.168.1.22
photo_dir = /home/jgb/Pictures
regid = nuxq

I am able to access the server from a laptop on the network, and play music through the browser; thus, I know that the server is running and is accessible to other machines on the network.

I do note that the value of 'roku_ip' is not set. Also, when I check the MyMedia settings on the Roku, the server IP is shown as 127.0.1.1. I must manually correct it in the Roku settings screen, but the error persists.

I have run the rendezvous with the registration server twice.

Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully accepted.

Thanks...

JGB
0 Kudos
renojim

The roku_ip parameter in config.ini does not need to be set; it's leftover from when you had to download the channel to your Roku yourself. If you can get to your settings within the channel, just edit the server IP address to be http://192.168.1.22:8001 - make sure the "http://" and ":8001" are there. It sounds like the wrong IP address is being reported to the rendezvous server, but the correct IP address is being written to config.ini. That seems pretty strange.

-JT

0 Kudos