Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MojaMike

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Very nice upgrade, guys! Thanks.

I first installed the version that was available yesterday (Avocado-5?) and it was doing okay, but this new version is working much better right off the bat. I too have installed My Media on a Sheevaplug, but with Debian Squeeze as the OS. Pretty smooth so far.

Yesterday I had a problem where I went into an album folder, played the first song, paused, went back and selected to play all the songs on the album. The wait icon spun & spun, but it never started playing. So I hit the Home key to get out, and when I tried again, My Media said it couldn't connect to the server. Funny, but I could still connect to my photos & videos. Rebooting the server and the Sheevaplug didn't help. Strange.

Will check back after I've had a chance to mess with it a bit.

- Thanks again.
Roku2 XD (3050X), HDMI out to HDTV
0 Kudos
nakedbaby
Visitor

I'm on a Macintosh and having difficulties with the new install system. I was able to get everything to work under the "MyMedia _fixed_for_new _firmware" version, but I can't seem to get anywhere with "Extreme Avocado"

Some notes on the problems:
Under 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I was not able to find any reference anywhere to Python or Python Launcher. In the Macintosh Developer Tools there is a Python folder that contained only the "Build Applet" app.
/usr/local/bin does not exist (so any/all subdirectories beneath /usr/local/bin also were not present).
/usr/bin DOES exist and has a python file - but it did not seem to be helpful to me (I was able to launch Python from the Terminal, but I was not able to execute any of the scripts - this is no doubt due to my lack of knowledge of what the heck I was doing).

I downloaded and installed MacPython 2.5, Mac Python 2.6.6 and Mac Python 3.1. That seemed to have solved my launching problems and created the missing /usr/local/bin directory.

Now to the Roku:
I added the channel using the private channel link above, and it launches giving me the 4-letter code.
I went to rokumm.appspot.com link and entered the code and then downloaded and installed the PIL, downloaded and installed the new Server software and then I tried to launch the springboard.py using the Python Launcher. The server configuration page came up, I started the server which immediately failed with a "missing rss_server.py" error. I found and downloaded a copy of "rss_server.py" and put it into the "Server" folder and launched springboard again - this time it launches and starts running.

Now I go to the bottom of the walkthrough and click on step #4 and after a brief pause I get a list of links (My Stream, My music, My Media... etc. and that's as far as I can get. The Roku box stays on "Server Configuration" with my only option to "Cancel Registration" (non-functioning button) and nothing else seems to do anything.

Now this is only in the new private channel version I have these issues - under the build from Monday, Nov 15th installing the client as a developer install works just fine.
0 Kudos

Question since My Media is slowly shaping up to be a channel, is there any plan for the channel to support NAS drives if at all possible? I know Roxbox or whatever seems to support this & was just curious.
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

Does it not work currently? I believe people have reported success in the past with setting their music directory to something like: \\myserver\share\music
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

"nakedbaby" wrote:
II tried to launch the springboard.py using the Python Launcher

This is the point where things went wrong. The new instructions for mac are to Ctrl+Click on mymedia.py in the (installation)/server directory and select Open With -> Python Launcher. What you did is downloaded and installed an old version of the server (it used to be called rss_server.py, now it's called mymedia.py) that doesn't support the new configuration mechanism.

springboard.py isn't a part of the new installation mechanism. I haven't removed it yet because it's really useful for developers but we may be moving that somewhere else in the future to prevent confusion.
0 Kudos
markhood
Visitor

"el.wubo" wrote:
Does it not work currently? I believe people have reported success in the past with setting their music directory to something like: \\myserver\share\music

I think that works, but I'm still using a NAS (old Linksys NSLU2) itself to run the pre-release MyMedia server and serve up content on the attached external hard drives, and I wonder if Gunslinger2's question refers to the same sort of setup.

Will the new channel packaging allow you to manually edit the config and install the client from a headless NAS running the server? If not, will it still be possible to install and configure the client from a desktop system and then copy the server over to a NAS and run it there?

I think you wrote something about not needing to install Python eventually, so I'm curious as to what will replace it since Python is what makes the server cross-platform and so easy to set up.
0 Kudos
nakedbaby
Visitor

"el.wubo" wrote:
This is the point where things went wrong. The new instructions for mac are to Ctrl+Click on mymedia.py in the (installation)/server directory and select Open With -> Python Launcher.

Hmmm. I looked through the download and I can't seem to find a "mymedia.py" file. Should I try to find one from an older install?
0 Kudos
canaws
Binge Watcher

"nakedbaby" wrote:
"el.wubo" wrote:
This is the point where things went wrong. The new instructions for mac are to Ctrl+Click on mymedia.py in the (installation)/server directory and select Open With -> Python Launcher.

Hmmm. I looked through the download and I can't seem to find a "mymedia.py" file. Should I try to find one from an older install?

Do you have the new server? It's in the server folder.
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

"markhood" wrote:

Will the new channel packaging allow you to manually edit the config and install the client from a headless NAS running the server? If not, will it still be possible to install and configure the client from a desktop system and then copy the server over to a NAS and run it there?

The new setup is particularly suited to that setup because you can edit the config graphically through the server's new configuration web page. The end result of editing it graphically is that it just writes out the same config.ini file that's always been there so you can still do things that way as well.

"markhood" wrote:

I think you wrote something about not needing to install Python eventually, so I'm curious as to what will replace it since Python is what makes the server cross-platform and so easy to set up.

It will still be using python. The current vision is to go to a little bit more trouble to package things in a cleaner way for our most common platforms. On the windows, for example, we can essentially produce an EXE of the server than can be run without the user having to download python. There's a similar packaging technique available for the mac. Linux users have such easy access to python that what we may do there is try to distribute the server as a .deb or .rpm... no real plans there yet because I don't know how much work would be involved in that.
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

(This was an accidental post... can't figure out how to delete it.)
0 Kudos