Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
umbighouse
Visitor

Re: My Music-Stream your local media collection to your Roku DVP

A few things I've noticed with the new version...

- The home screen graphic is the My Music one not the My Media one.
- When showing folder partitions, it does now show an album starting with a number (38 Special), but that album sits out at the top level by itself, along with the A-B, C-D, etc folders. Is there a way to next it within a folder such as "#" or something to represent non-alpha titles?
- When I drill down to the Music folder, the top banner graphic shows My Media. Is this by design? I assumed it would show My Music when in music, and My Videos when in videos.
- mp4 and m4v videos are not detected in any folders containing them. I get the message "Cannot retrieve media list from http://192.168.1.xxx:8001/feed" (where xxx is my server IP address). This happens in both the Video folder and also in a Music folder containing videos. The server is running, b/c I can play music ok.
0 Kudos
umbighouse
Visitor

Another observation/suggestion...

-When entering the home screen menu graphic, you're presented with 2 folders- music and video. Can the My Music and My Videos square format graphics be used here? I thought that's what they were for.
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

dellsweig:

Glad to know the usual launcher works fine.

I'm guessing the path to python inside springboard_debug.bat isn't correct -- especially since you're able to launch it directly. I'm able to launch springboard_debug on my windows virtual machine. If you want to see the text before the window closes you can start the windows terminal (Start | Run | cmd) and cd to where you installed the source and run springboard_debug.bat from there.

umbighouse:

Oops on the graphics. Your expectation regarding home screen graphics and banner graphics is also what I had intended. That slipped by. The square graphics are for this and for the default image used when album art (or video art) is unavailable. Is using them as defaults as well what you had intended?

Looking into the missing video files. Can you run your server in debug mode and tell me what it prints? If it sees the videos and ignores them it should say "ignoring filename'.
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

"umbighouse" wrote:
- mp4 and m4v videos are not detected in any folders containing them. I get the message "Cannot retrieve media list from http://192.168.1.xxx:8001/feed" (where xxx is my server IP address). This happens in both the Video folder and also in a Music folder containing videos. The server is running, b/c I can play music ok.

I'm reproducing this. Fix coming soon.

"umbighouse" wrote:

- When showing folder partitions, it does now show an album starting with a number (38 Special), but that album sits out at the top level by itself, along with the A-B, C-D, etc folders. Is there a way to next it within a folder such as "#" or something to represent non-alpha titles?

This is intentional. The numbered folders are partitioned separately from the letter folders. If there aren't enough number folders to give partitioning an advantage (eg, only 1) then the partitioning algorithm doesn't run. The goal is to save you clicks.
0 Kudos
umbighouse
Visitor

umbighouse:

Oops on the graphics. Your expectation regarding home screen graphics and banner graphics is also what I had intended. That slipped by. The square graphics are for this and for the default image used when album art (or video art) is unavailable. Is using them as defaults as well what you had intended?

Yes for the home screen and banner graphics. For square graphics, yes, I agree that they should be used at the entry point for music and videos, and also when album/video art is not available. Hope that answers your question.

So for the partitioning of number folders, if I have only 1 album starting with a number, can I set the split point to "1" and have it nest within a folder to appear consistent with the lettered folders?
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

"el.wubo" wrote:
"umbighouse" wrote:

I'm reproducing this. Fix coming soon.

Fixed and the new zip is up.

The problem was that I hadn't tested video folders that didn't include any art and there was an error in the server that this condition provoked.

I'm looking into the graphic problem next. Gosh you are all good at testing 🙂
0 Kudos
umbighouse
Visitor

When updating/replacing versions, is it ok to keep the existing config.ini file and replace all other files/folders, or is there new info that gets written if a config.ini was done from scratch? What's the best method?
0 Kudos
umbighouse
Visitor

el.wubo,

Not sure where you are with graphics, but it looks like the videos square graphic is working when no video art appears in a video folder. For music, if there's no album art, it shows the generic folder graphic, rather than the square my music graphic. It would be consistent to match this with the behavior of the videos graphic. Agree?
0 Kudos
umbighouse
Visitor

Sorry to bombard with lots of minor posts- maybe I should start a punch list.

Home screen- Should the title by "Media Player" rather than "Music Player" (or maybe even "My Media")?

Next level- Should the Music and Video folders be titled My Music and My Videos, to match the graphics?
0 Kudos
mkolby
Visitor

"el.wubo" wrote:
"mkolby" wrote:
Been playing around with this a bit, and so far I really like what I'm seeing. Regarding the album art, the current method works great for music albums, but is there a way we can create album art with the same file name as the title, but with different extensions, and have that show as the default thumbnail image for that title (GI-JOE.m4v and GI_JOE.jpg)? This is the way I have my collection for XBMC. I really appreciate all your hard work on this project, it's great to finally be able to stream my local content.

Great idea! Sure. We can support that. Hopefully we can work that in to the next release.

Thanks for getting this implemented so quickly. Now if we can just fix that dang rebuffer problem after an hour without having to extract audio and remix. I wish the box wasn't so picky. Better yet, if we could tie this in with a program that could transcode on the fly, that way we all wouldn't have to re-encode all of our media files just for roku. I use one for my PS3 call PS3 Media Server (http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507. It's an open source program that can transcode to more than just the PS3. They have created plug-ins for multiple devices. Could such a program be used here?
0 Kudos